Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: wecoguy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 21962  
Subject: Any Topaz Infocus users? Date: 2/6/2013 3:11 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
This company has several products, InFocus being my current interest, I had been waiting on Focus Magic to wake up tot he Intel Mac, but it's not happening... Then I ran across this link I'd tucked away a long time ago... Looks interesting, plus several other gadgets...

http://www.topazlabs.com/infocus/

I'm Mac oriented, so this is looking good, they also do Windoze..
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFTwitty Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20948 of 21962
Subject: Re: Any Topaz Infocus users? Date: 2/6/2013 3:20 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I'd want to compare it to the editors I already have for sharpening/contrast before buying yet another program. Or I could just learn how to use my camera better ;-) Spent a ton of money on gear this winter that I haven't been able to put to good use yet. I'm thinking the last thing I need now is a program to salvage my crap shots instead of working on not taking them to begin with.

Have to wonder if some of these new editors are dumbed-down or declassified law enforcement tools. Cool if they are.

Richard

Author: TMBFAverageJoe Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20949 of 21962
Subject: Re: Any Topaz Infocus users? Date: 2/6/2013 4:19 PM
I tried to watch the tutorial video but found the narrator's accent
impossible to follow. It seems that if they're trying to pitch the
product to an English speaking audience, the narrator should be a
native English speaker.

I'm with Twitty on trying to eliminate mistakes during picture taking
that would require this sort of corrective action in post processing.

BTW, whatever happened to that software introduced some time back that
allowed variable focus in any part of an image - also in PP. I can't remember
what it was called; someone posted it here once. With that one could shift
the focus from a foreground object to one in the background, or concentrate
on any area, while losing the rest in bokeh.

~aj

Author: wecoguy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20950 of 21962
Subject: Re: Any Topaz Infocus users? Date: 2/6/2013 4:29 PM
Still looking, a friend locally, sent me this review/blog... Looks like an interesting site for other info as well..

http://www.ronmartblog.com/2010/12/topaz-software-infocus-sa...

So it's not perfect, what I saw in the live demo of Focus Magic made a lasting impression, I have some early digitals I took in 2001 with a now little Nikon 880, some indoor, low light images I'd like to recover... And, occasionally some iPhone snaps that would be nice recoveries, stuff happens, we get rushed, etc... Nice to maybe have a safety net...

weco

Author: wecoguy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20951 of 21962
Subject: Re: Any Topaz Infocus users? Date: 2/6/2013 4:43 PM
Hmm, I didn't even notice an accent, but maybe more used to travels.. And maybe my interest was piqued more..

We all try for perfection up front, situations, timing, errors, being human, we don't always hit the mark, I do some tuneups in Photoshop, CS6,but I also see it's limits.

Where I really would like to play is old historical images, our local Library's archives have many, many photos, either originally poorly focused in the early 18-1900s, or recent scans where the operator blew it... So a kick to fix, recover, restore, maybe even read old signs helping to pin the time, location...

Yes, remember the multi-focus imaging, special camera maybe or a software flip.. The Detailer from the Topaz folks plays with picking focal pints, too as do some others, but more about blurring the non-subject, I do that with the blu tool in PS if needed... Like HDR a bit of a trick I think... After the first few HDRs I'm done with 'em... One board on FB there's a group hooked on composites, another on HDR, too far from reality for my tastes...

weco

Author: canonian Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20953 of 21962
Subject: Re: Any Topaz Infocus users? Date: 2/6/2013 8:57 PM
Use Photoshop or PS Elements and sharpen away. There are many settings, third party actions you can D/L for free and get similar or better results.

Author: wecoguy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20954 of 21962
Subject: Re: Any Topaz Infocus users? Date: 2/6/2013 10:09 PM
Use Photoshop or PS Elements and sharpen away. There are many settings,
third party actions you can D/L for free and get similar or better results.

Oh, I've played, tweaked, fiddled, nudged, and am able to improve some, but not to my satisfaction... Some are deadly, the information has to be in there, but I can't quite get there... So I'm looking for options...

Author: TMBFAverageJoe Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20955 of 21962
Subject: Re: Any Topaz Infocus users? Date: 2/6/2013 11:54 PM
"One board on FB there's a group hooked on composites, another on HDR... "

Do you recall their names? I'd be interested in giving them a read.

~aj

Author: wecoguy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20956 of 21962
Subject: Re: Any Topaz Infocus users? Date: 2/7/2013 2:47 AM
Sure...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/V7NPhotography/

I Love Photography, owned by Cricket! Wide range, from amateurs to pros, mostly just showing, about 1200 members... Haven't seen any hardware discussions..

weco

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement