UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: jeanpaulsartre Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 12878  
Subject: Anyone? Date: 2/28/2000 5:36 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6

Here. Please. Someone. Anyone. Take a look at what David and Jeff say in promoting this product:

All institutional-based stock research reports are presented under a conflict of interest.

http://www.fool.com/research/2000/features000214.htm

You cannot say this. It is an entirely fictitious claim. It would be OK for a journalist to say this--for the old Fool to say this--it would simply be inaccuracy. It is not--most assuredly, NOT--OK for the owner of a company to say this about the direct competition. (And as you are selling financial research, you are indeed competing with these people). By entering into the financial services sales arena--not a how-to book, but a financial services product--you have now shamelessly walked through the firewall between editorial and marketing, and you have done it with complete indifference to codes of professional conduct. If you think this kind of marketing is OK, when you are competing with the same kind of product, have I got news for you.

I vocalized this because I like the Fool. I'm not an attorney, but as a financial services marketer I have to comply with them all day every day. Does anyone at the Fool see any risk in this? I think your exposure is considerable here if you continue to market your research by employing the same journalistic claims you have made in the past about the financial service industry.

You can sell financial research--but you are obliged if you do to stop making fictitious claims about the competition. Or you can stop selling, and make all the claims you want. Combining both is an enormous risk.

jps
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Not Cheering the Shire Deal
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement