UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: MissEdithKeeler Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 886574  
Subject: Anyone cooking this weekend? Date: 3/29/2014 11:07 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
Me, I'm making red beans and rice. I watched that NCIS episode the other day where they were eating red beans and rice (which looked terrible, like someone opened a can of kidney beans and poured them over some rice... never mind that he supposedly cooked them after working all day). Anyway, since I saw it, I've had red beans and rice on the brain.

Right now my house smells like peppers and garlic and celery and Andouille sausage.... starving me out. I also have some French bread rising on the back of the stove.

Budget meal: I know the pound of beans was a buck, the pound of rice was a buck as well (using brown rice instead of white, and won't use the whole pound), peppers were 2 for a buck, celery was around a dollar a bunch, onions maybe 25 cents each when you buy the bag. Sausage was in the freezer, bought a while back on sale, so let's say $3, maybe?

Total price for a lot of food that I'll eat on most of the week: maybe 8 bucks, for at least 10 servings. Bread: maybe 75 cents for the loaf.

What are you cooking this weekend? Anything especially LBYM?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: voelkels Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 881222 of 886574
Subject: Re: Anyone cooking this weekend? Date: 3/29/2014 12:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Me, I'm making red beans and rice.

I made red beans & rice last week and had a second meal of them on Monday. Since DW & I am retired, I cook every day except Sunday, me. We usually eat out on Sunday, the Acme Oyster House (See; http://www.acmeoyster.com/menu_covington ) mostly but occasionally sushi, Thai or “American” food.
;-)

C.J.V. – oysters are easy to chew with false teeth, yes
;-(

Author: lindytoes Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 881223 of 886574
Subject: Re: Anyone cooking this weekend? Date: 3/29/2014 12:03 PM
Making 15 bean soup in anticipation of the end of cooler weather. High temp 60Fs this weekend but next week - all 70s. I really like soup and I think we are just about finished with cooler weather.

I make it in a crock pot with ham, tomatoes, onions, seasonings like ham bouillon or tomato/chicken - whatever I have on hand. This time I'm using a can of stewed tomatoes which has celery, onions and peppers. I have used sausage instead of ham but I just happen to have some leftover ham in the freezer from a big shank portion.

Your food sounds delicious, MEK. I wish I lived closer so we could share a meal.

Author: Sadiekillmouski Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 881224 of 886574
Subject: Re: Anyone cooking this weekend? Date: 3/29/2014 12:37 PM
Recommendations: 2
We usually eat out on Sunday, the Acme Oyster House...

I would KILL for an oyster loaf. Should I (God Forbid) ever find out that I have only six months to live, I will return to New Orleans and eat myself to death. Red beans and rice, jambalaya, gumbo, I can reproduce in Chicago. Good, fresh oysters...not so much. And scary expensive if you can even find them.

I am cooking a nice Thai beef curry today, so that's some consolation.

Sadie Killmouski
Former resident of Kenner, LA

Author: MissEdithKeeler Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 881225 of 886574
Subject: Re: Anyone cooking this weekend? Date: 3/29/2014 2:17 PM
Your food sounds delicious, MEK. I wish I lived closer so we could share a meal.

Yours too! Let me know if you're ever coming through Memphis and I'll have you over for dinner.

Author: mollyd77 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 881227 of 886574
Subject: Re: Anyone cooking this weekend? Date: 3/29/2014 2:48 PM
Recommendations: 1
I have some chocolate chip cookie dough resting in the fridge. My husband was talking about fresh bread so I guess I'll start some tomorrow morning.

We just got our pig so if I am feeling intrepid*, I'll go dig in the freezer for a shoulder and make pulled pork tomorrow, too.

Red beans sound wonderful. :-)

-M

*every time we get a pig or a quarter of beef, DH packs it all in the freezer, according to a system of his own design. Every time, I say, let me be in charge so I'll know where everything is when I want to cook it. Every time, he out argues me/distracts me/waits for my back to go out and packs it his way and we eat only meals made with ground beef for two weeks while I try to work my way through the top layers.

Author: spl241 Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 881229 of 886574
Subject: Re: Anyone cooking this weekend? Date: 3/29/2014 4:21 PM
frustrated chef Mollyd:

he out argues me/distracts me/waits for my back to go out and packs it his way....we eat only meals with ground beef for two weeks while I work my way through the top layers.

...and then when you finally see those lovely steaks buried under the lowly ground beef for the unwashed masses, you forgive your sneaky DH, don't you?!

(Wow, 80/20 ground beef under $3/lb. is a bargain, at least around here....85/15 and "healthier" is much higher....I got some ground sirloin a while back for $5.29/lb. and it was very juicy/good. I hear dire warnings about still higher beef prices down the road. Ugh.

Author: ChiliChild Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 881230 of 886574
Subject: Re: Anyone cooking this weekend? Date: 3/29/2014 4:27 PM
Recommendations: 12
Every time, he out argues me/distracts me/waits for my back to go out and packs it his way and we eat only meals made with ground beef for two weeks while I try to work my way through the top layers.

How about deciding what you want to cook and then telling him you need X from the freezer. Let him do the digging.

Chili

Author: mollyd77 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 881231 of 886574
Subject: Re: Anyone cooking this weekend? Date: 3/29/2014 4:34 PM
Haha, Chili! I pulled that on him today. He signed the kids up for a spring sport and basically, most/all of it will fall on me. He gave me the doe eyed "But it's so great for them!" speech but this time I was not moved. (usually I am easily tricked)

They all helped me clean the house this morning and I was appreciative of how fast it went. I said if he wants me to do practices and games for the next two months, the weekly housecleaning will have to be a joint venture. (sorry if I have set back women's lib but it has always been just me cleaning.) DH graciously agreed. :-)

I think I will ask him to find tomorrow's pork shoulder.

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 881233 of 886574
Subject: Re: Anyone cooking this weekend? Date: 3/29/2014 5:02 PM
How about deciding what you want to cook and then telling him you need X from the freezer. Let him do the digging.

Chili

Har!
That was my solution, too.

AM

Author: RoadScholar5 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 881234 of 886574
Subject: Re: Anyone cooking this weekend? Date: 3/29/2014 6:00 PM
yes, Peruvian Causa.

RS

Author: 00jane Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 881236 of 886574
Subject: Re: Anyone cooking this weekend? Date: 3/29/2014 6:14 PM
No-knead focaccia from here: http://www.budgetbytes.com/2011/04/no-knead-focaccia/ Makes a great sandwich with caramelized broccoli and toasted walnut bits. Walnuts are expensive, but I buy them in bulk from Costco and they're so flavorful toasted that a little goes a long way... Like jalapeños.

Now I'm really craving beans! Maybe in chili with cornbread, yum.

Author: PolymerMom Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 881239 of 886574
Subject: Re: Anyone cooking this weekend? Date: 3/29/2014 10:56 PM
We're having friends over Sunday evening, so I'm cooking Italian/Tuscan. I cheated and bought Nuovo Gnocchi, but cooked up a fresh tomato sauce for them this afternoon. I also cheated and bought a Mediterranean dip and pita chips for nibbling on with a glass of Prosecco [Ruffino on sale this week] - while MDH grills the salmon.

Tomato sauce: 3 locally-grown greenhouse tomatoes, 4 sage leaves [picked from my herb garden], a medium onion, dried Italian parsley from last year and a tablespoon of tomato paste [from Italy, so the package says, anyway]. Seeded and chopped the tomatoes, chopped the onion, sage and parsley up finely together. Sauteed in EVOO until golden. Added some kosher salt & the chopped tomatoes & tomato paste. Sauteed another 10 minutes and added a cup of water. Simmered everything for 30 minutes, and then used an immersion blender to make a less chunky sauce. Will reheat tomorrow for use over the gnocchi.

Gnocchi needs only a few minutes in boiling water. It may be tricky cooking that much gnocchi (for 6). Gnocchi are delicate and shouldn't be "stacked" on each other.

Main protein: salmon - on sale this week. MDH will grill.

Veggie: Steamed broccoli w/ an olive oil/lemon dressing. Cutting the florets up early tomorrow afternoon. (Stalks reserved for later use.)

Dessert: Panna Cotta (http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2009/04/perfect-panna-cotta/) I'm using the half-and-half & "in the wine glass" options. I bought Knox gelatin (for the main recipe) with raspberries, blackberries [both on sale] and organic strawberries for "garnish". It's incredibly easy, but needs about 4 hours to chill. The strawberries will need some attention late tomorrow afternoon, but other than that, no big deal.

PM

Author: malaoshi Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 881240 of 886574
Subject: Re: Anyone cooking this weekend? Date: 3/29/2014 11:00 PM
Recommendations: 8
Had to cook for a neighbor with hip surgery.

She said she doesn't like fresh/real salmon...(come on, who doesn't like salmon?) just smoked salmon, so I decided to make her:

a platter of little appetizers ( deviled eggs, cucumber rounds with smoked salmon,prosciutto and mozzarella sticks)
green salad with vinaigrette
an old fashioned Shepherd's Pie, topped with really good mashed potato.
Extra veggies on the side.
Special pot de creme

After her dinner was ready, delivered,( and I hope eaten,) we had the same. There's enough Shepherd's Pie for leftovers for tomorrow...it goes a long way.

Maryanne

Author: PaintItBlue Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 881242 of 886574
Subject: Re: Anyone cooking this weekend? Date: 3/30/2014 1:59 AM
That red beans & rice sounds delicious.

I'm probably going to make chili. I don't decide until I see what's good at the supermarket (or, in season, at the farmers' market.)

Author: rharmelink Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 881255 of 886574
Subject: Re: Anyone cooking this weekend? Date: 3/30/2014 1:34 PM
She said she doesn't like fresh/real salmon...(come on, who doesn't like salmon?) just smoked salmon, so I decided to make her:

I love smoked salmon, thinly sliced, but avoid it otherwise. But I'm not much of a fish lover to begin with. I usually have to bury any grilled or baked or fried fish in tartar sauce before I will eat it.

But at the retirement community I'm at, they sometimes have a smoked salmon platter with cream cheese, diced onions, capers, etc. Love it.

Author: ChiliChild Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 881261 of 886574
Subject: Re: Anyone cooking this weekend? Date: 3/30/2014 2:35 PM
Have a large pot of 16-bean soup simmering on the stove with a piece of beef shank. Oh, and added some dried black beans of unknown age I found in the pantry to the pot, as well.

Chili

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 881271 of 886574
Subject: Re: Anyone cooking this weekend? Date: 3/30/2014 4:38 PM
Thank you for recommending this post to our Best of feature.

Walnuts are expensive, but I buy them in bulk from Costco

Funny you should mention that. We just got back from Costco where we buy all our almonds, cashews and walnuts in those big plastic container jars. Usually we eat'em all up in plenty of time, but if there's a delay we just pop'em in the fridge.

This trip we got, among other things, (pre cooked;-) oatmeal raisin cookies which I testing for flavor right now.

Desert (mmmmmmm) Dave

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 881272 of 886574
Subject: Re: Anyone cooking this weekend? Date: 3/30/2014 6:49 PM
I have bean with ham soup simmering in a crock pot. It is beginning to smell very good.

Author: TMFHunzi Big red star, 1000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 881281 of 886574
Subject: Re: Anyone cooking this weekend? Date: 3/31/2014 1:36 AM
This weekend was my annual Make Lasagna For The Man's Bday. I made sauce, then 3 pans of lasagna, and a Smores gelato cake for dessert.

Put 2 pans of lasagna away in the freezer for other times, and had the 3rd for birthday dinner celebration with DH, DS, & 2 CDs.

Always ;-)
Hunzi
got stuff done this weekend!

Author: voelkels Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 881284 of 886574
Subject: Re: Anyone cooking this weekend? Date: 3/31/2014 7:10 AM
“She said she doesn't like fresh/real salmon...(come on, who doesn't like salmon?) just smoked salmon, so I decided to make her:”

I love smoked salmon, thinly sliced, but avoid it otherwise.

My Saturday project was to smoke the lox that I had cured in the fridge over apple wood for two hours. After that I drove the 20 miles (each way) to our local Albertson’s Supermarket for two more salmon filets. They were having a 3-day special on fresh Atlantic salmon (farm raised from Chile) for $5.99/lb for the whole filet (usually $7.99/lb). It isn’t as good, IMHO, as the Scottish farm raised salmon from Rouse’s Supermarket ($11.99/lb) or the wild-caught salmon from “FreshWay Market” ($19.99/lb) but for curing into graxlax or grilling for DW & the cats every week or two it’ll do, yes
;-)

C.J.V. – I cut them filets up into portions, wrapped, vacuum sealed and froze them, me

Author: voelkels Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 881285 of 886574
Subject: Re: Anyone cooking this weekend? Date: 3/31/2014 7:17 AM
. . . and added some dried black beans of unknown age I found in the pantry to the pot, as well.

Be careful about adding old beans to your recipes. When they hit a certain age, no reasonable amount of cooking will soften them, no.
;-(

C.J.V. – remembers dumping a pot of chili after simmering them old beans for four days to try to soften them, me

Author: ChiliChild Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 881288 of 886574
Subject: Re: Anyone cooking this weekend? Date: 3/31/2014 9:49 AM
Bean soup was all right, but not great. Used the included seasoning packet and it didn't suit our tastes very well. Unfortunately, it made enough for about 6 more meals for each of us.

But the homemade focaccia bread was superb. (Thanks, again, tori26!)

Chili

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement