Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: andydee One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35  
Subject: Anyone Else? Date: 8/2/1997 7:59 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Sorry for the delay in answering, I've been away, helping my daughter and son-in-law move.

The two individuals in question are Norm Barkeley and Joe Berenato. Barkeley is the main man and Berenato is his hand-picked protege/successor.

I'm doing this from memory, as it's my second attempt. My modem is on the fritz, and I'm hurrying to complete this before it craps out again. Barkeley joined Dco board in 1987. He was CEO of Lear-Siegler at the time, a company he helped grow from$32 Mill sales to $2 Bill in sales. DCO had 4 lousy years in a row, price of stock dropping from 40 to 5, and sold off their main business, electronic parts distribution to Arrow Electronics. Barkeley was asked to be CEO and Chrman in 1988. DCO was at that time highly unattractive. It had a negative net worth and only 4 small aerospace/aircraft industry firms in its portfolio. Over the next few years Barkeley focused on cost cutting, paying down debt and increasing cash flows. Sales rose modestly. In 1991 Barkeley hired Berenato, who has a great academic resume, (West Point, U Va, NYU), and had worked at Manny Hanny, as VP and CFO. In Dec 1994 they bought two companies, and in Jan'95 a third. This is the approach Barkeley had used at Lear...small unshowy acquisitions of public and private companies that meshed well with their existing components. They financed the purchases through internal cash flows, (they had a ton of NOL's from the bad old days), LOC and an issue of Convertible Debentures. Sales jumped 40+% in 1995 and 30% in '96.

Joe was made President in '96, and CEO later that year. Barkeley had a 5 year contract, apparently at his request, which expired on 12-31-96, about the time he turned 65. I think he is staying on to give Joe a hand for a while, but Joe is definitely the future at DCO.

DCO is profitting because of the boom in the aircraft industry and because of the secular shift to outsourcing. Their biggest customer is a major vendor of Boeings.

I think the price is gotten a little ahead of their value, but I'm not selling. DCO is a 3 bagger, and I won't sell until Joe does something stupid, which I'm not anticipating

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Deranged Monkey Criticism

RadioShack Afloat on a Sea of Financing
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement