UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (30) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: wzambon Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1947896  
Subject: Anyone Else Notice??? Date: 10/10/2012 2:38 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 34
That after Mitt made that comment about Big Bird, the theme went completely viral, spawning dozens of wonderful cartoons and photos of Big Bird, Bert, Ernie and the gang.... begging for a reprieve.

It was about two days later that the Republicans began to fight back.

How?

By downplaying the effectiveness of the massive and humorous campaign- which was NOT AT ALL BEING DIRECTED BY THE OBAMA CAMPAIGN... though the Republicans would prefer that folks believe that.

The Obama campaign jumped on board late in the game, and their efforts were awkward.

But my hat is off to the dozens of creative and very funny people who immediately seized upon this gaff by Romney.

(even if the creators of Big Bird later asked folks to refrain from dragging Big Bird into the fray)

And for those who continue to grouse about how there are more important things than talking about Big Bird.... I ask:

THEN WHY DID ROMNEY BRING BIG BIRD UP?

Nah.... the viral campaign to save Big Bird was fabulous.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: FoolinGrapeApe Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1823012 of 1947896
Subject: Re: Anyone Else Notice??? Date: 10/10/2012 2:59 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2

I thought it was obvious. It was held up as an example of what government should not be spending money on. I don't think Romney was suggesting that defunding PBS was going to balance the budget.

Grape

Author: TheDope1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1823023 of 1947896
Subject: Re: Anyone Else Notice??? Date: 10/10/2012 3:14 PM
Recommendations: 3
That after Mitt made that comment about Big Bird, the theme went completely viral, spawning dozens of wonderful cartoons and photos of Big Bird, Bert, Ernie and the gang.... begging for a reprieve.

It was about two days later that the Republicans began to fight back.

How?

By downplaying the effectiveness of the massive and humorous campaign- which was NOT AT ALL BEING DIRECTED BY THE OBAMA CAMPAIGN... though the Republicans would prefer that folks believe that.

The Obama campaign jumped on board late in the game, and their efforts were awkward.

But my hat is off to the dozens of creative and very funny people who immediately seized upon this gaff by Romney.

(even if the creators of Big Bird later asked folks to refrain from dragging Big Bird into the fray)

And for those who continue to grouse about how there are more important things than talking about Big Bird.... I ask:

Nah.... the viral campaign to save Big Bird was fabulous.

Fail.
First off, Romney was making a point about reducing spending. He cited PBS as an example because Leher happened to be sitting right in front of him (You'll recall that Leher works at PBS).

Secondly, does anyone who hasn't been plugged into the liberal memory eraser remember what Mitt actually said? He said, "I love Big Bird".

Third, Big Bird doesn't need the money:
Big Bird is richer than Mitt Romney. Sesame Workshop (successor to Children's Television Workshop), reported to the IRS a $356-million net worth as of June 30, 2011, compared to Romney's estimated worth of about $250-million.

Read more: http://nation.foxnews.com/big-bird/2012/10/09/big-bird-riche...

Fourth, nobody told Obama to go out and fight for Big Bird and Elmo. His campaign staff did that gaffe all on its own.

Fifth, that's nice that dozens of creative people either didn't hear what Mitt said or have no clue that Children's Television Workshop has a merchandising arm or that the federal budget needs some trimming. Most voters DO understand these things, and even Matt Lauer is asking Gibbs why the campaign is bothering. When you've lost the morning softball shows...

Author: cjb44 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1823025 of 1947896
Subject: Re: Anyone Else Notice??? Date: 10/10/2012 3:16 PM
which was NOT AT ALL BEING DIRECTED BY THE OBAMA CAMPAIGN

Are you high? Did you see this ad with Big Bird? It even has the "I'm Barack Obama and I approve this ad" tag line.

Of course he's directing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZxs09eV-Vc

Author: TheDope1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1823027 of 1947896
Subject: Re: Anyone Else Notice??? Date: 10/10/2012 3:20 PM
Recommendations: 1
Are you high? Did you see this ad with Big Bird? It even has the "I'm Barack Obama and I approve this ad" tag line.

Of course he's directing it.

This and a bunch of other threads are really telling. We're talking about national security and the economy, both of which are in real trouble.

They're talking about Big Bird.

Draw your own conclusions.

Author: mbarr Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1823029 of 1947896
Subject: Re: Anyone Else Notice??? Date: 10/10/2012 3:20 PM
Recommendations: 7

Yeah, some gaff. Romney brought it up as an (accurate) example of government waste. The Obama campaign jumped on it like they were saving the world and made themselves look so ridiculous that even Big Bird told them to STFU.

Let's hope Mitt has a lot more gaffs like this.

Author: SaintPatrick1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1823031 of 1947896
Subject: Re: Anyone Else Notice??? Date: 10/10/2012 3:23 PM
Recommendations: 0
No worries. I am sure that Ambassador Stevens, not Big Bird, will be the focus of the upcoming Town Meeting with Obama and Romney.

Author: SGIZ1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1823036 of 1947896
Subject: Re: Anyone Else Notice??? Date: 10/10/2012 3:42 PM
LIbs are just mad because Romney is peeking at point you want to be peeking (30 days out)

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1823038 of 1947896
Subject: Re: Anyone Else Notice??? Date: 10/10/2012 3:43 PM
LIbs are just mad because Romney is peeking at point you want to be peeking (30 days out)

Libs are just mad, because the word mad can be a synonym for crazy

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1823058 of 1947896
Subject: Re: Anyone Else Notice??? Date: 10/10/2012 4:14 PM
Anyone else notice kids aren't doing any better in school post-Sesame Street compared to pre-Sesame Street?

Author: SGIZ1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1823059 of 1947896
Subject: Re: Anyone Else Notice??? Date: 10/10/2012 4:18 PM
"Anyone else notice kids aren't doing any better in school post-Sesame Street compared to pre-Sesame Street? "

Nobody can argue against the fact liberals have had a strangle hold over public education for decades, and more and more money keeps getting thrown at public education and that the results keep getting worse and worse and worse.

Conclusion? Time for the libs to hand over the keys on public education.

Author: Jeanwa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1823060 of 1947896
Subject: Re: Anyone Else Notice??? Date: 10/10/2012 4:19 PM
Anyone else notice kids aren't doing any better in school post-Sesame Street compared to pre-Sesame Street?

==================================

And you know this because...?

Author: Jeanwa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1823062 of 1947896
Subject: Re: Anyone Else Notice??? Date: 10/10/2012 4:21 PM
Nobody can argue against the fact liberals have had a strangle hold over public education for decades, and more and more money keeps getting thrown at public education and that the results keep getting worse and worse and worse.
=====================================

Are we talking K-12 here?

Do you have any stats on which states are doing worse?

Jean

Author: SGIZ1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1823065 of 1947896
Subject: Re: Anyone Else Notice??? Date: 10/10/2012 4:24 PM
"Are we talking K-12 here?

Do you have any stats on which states are doing worse?

Jean"

?? this isn't a state issue, there are good public schools in blue states and red states, there are bad in both, were talking about the legacy, the system, its failing, its getting worse and worse over time, not better. Liberals have led on public education for decades, their way, their ideas, their methods, their ideology, etc. its not working.

Author: ramsfanray Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1823069 of 1947896
Subject: Re: Anyone Else Notice??? Date: 10/10/2012 4:33 PM

Because it's the only thing on PBS that wouldn't reinforce his image as an out of touch snob.

What else is he going to say? "I like the opera, but I wouldn't fund it"

Author: eatenbybears Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1823070 of 1947896
Subject: Re: Anyone Else Notice??? Date: 10/10/2012 4:33 PM
This cant be!

Dropout Rate Declines for All Races: Census

http://nationaljournal.com/thenextamerica/education/dropout-...

Everyone knows No Child Left Behind sucks and does not work!

These number must have been put together by the same people that claim the unemployment number is 7.8%!

BEARS

Author: eatenbybears Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1823072 of 1947896
Subject: Re: Anyone Else Notice??? Date: 10/10/2012 4:35 PM

He was bringing the issue down to Obama's level

Bears

Author: kenm47 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1823084 of 1947896
Subject: Re: Anyone Else Notice??? Date: 10/10/2012 4:47 PM
"Yeah, some gaff."

OK, not a "gaff." Just more Willard nonsense.

Ken

Author: Jeanwa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1823090 of 1947896
Subject: Re: Anyone Else Notice??? Date: 10/10/2012 5:01 PM
No Child Left Behind
====================================

What? Who's program was this?

Author: wzambon Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1823107 of 1947896
Subject: Re: Anyone Else Notice??? Date: 10/10/2012 5:16 PM

Are you the one who's high?

Big bird riffs started showing up well before that ad.

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1823108 of 1947896
Subject: Re: Anyone Else Notice??? Date: 10/10/2012 5:17 PM

==================================

And you know this because...?

Because we haven't seen any evidence that they're doing better thanks to children's programming. Surely with all the children's programming out there, and how much money can be made from turning a TV on - if it IMPROVED how children do in school, wouldn't we see some evidence by now? Instead, those in the child development field still recommend turning the TV OFF.

Kids are doing worse on the SAT - which many want to write off as being because more students are taking it - who knows yet if it's possibly due to more video screen time of young children. What we do know right now is video screen time doesn't seem to be helping kids do better in school.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/sat-reading-sc...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/children_shealth/5421888/P...

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/science/july-dec11/kidsnscree...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2006/apr/03/schools.uk3

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1823110 of 1947896
Subject: Re: Anyone Else Notice??? Date: 10/10/2012 5:20 PM
Recommendations: 3

Libs are really such bottom feeders.

The guy uses a passing remark to make a point. Then libs use it make a major campaign out of it and try to blame it on Romney.

Heck, I guess this is an improvement, at least they did not try to blame it on Bush

Personally, I think it was somehow racist I do not know how, but heck everything else is.

Author: wzambon Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1823119 of 1947896
Subject: Re: Anyone Else Notice??? Date: 10/10/2012 5:35 PM
Look at all the folks on the right who have weighed in on this thread to bad mouth poor Big Bird.....

I think that is one of the best indications that the "Save Big Bird" campaign was effective.

Author: Jeanwa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1823136 of 1947896
Subject: Re: Anyone Else Notice??? Date: 10/10/2012 6:32 PM
It depends on the program and the age.

I know it helped my kid almost 30 years ago. And I know it helps my grandkids.

Like a lot of things it's moderation and supervision.

http://www.medialit.org/reading-room/educational-tv-may-boos...

http://healthland.time.com/2011/10/18/why-educational-tv-for...

Author: eatenbybears Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1823151 of 1947896
Subject: Re: Anyone Else Notice??? Date: 10/10/2012 7:30 PM
I think that is one of the best indications that the "Save Big Bird" campaign was effective.

If he came to my area, he would be sitting in a smoker for a neighborhood cook out. No doubt, that domestic fowl would feed a couple dozen people.

Bears

Author: spikie Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1823293 of 1947896
Subject: Re: Anyone Else Notice??? Date: 10/11/2012 9:52 AM

Libs are really such bottom feeders.

The guy uses a passing remark to make a point. Then libs use it make a major campaign out of it and try to blame it on Romney.

Heck, I guess this is an improvement, at least they did not try to blame it on Bush

Personally, I think it was somehow racist I do not know how, but heck everything else is.

Now, if one is a conservative, that remark is quite funny. If one is a liberal on THIS board, it is likely somehow insulting...

To me, that's some funny stuff!

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1823376 of 1947896
Subject: Re: Anyone Else Notice??? Date: 10/11/2012 12:12 PM
Big Bird

Little President

Nuff Said.....

When the President has nothing other than Big Bird to talk about on the campaign trail....you know he is a ZERO.

The country is in trouble

Obama can't pass a budget, no less live within one.

Foreign policy is collapsing....

The economy is stagnating

THe Fiscal Cliff is impending and he is partying with Big Bird?

That spells...... L O S E R

and even Big Bird knows that

t.

Author: nigelwhalmsley Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1823380 of 1947896
Subject: Re: Anyone Else Notice??? Date: 10/11/2012 12:19 PM
"When the President has nothing other than Big Bird to talk about on the campaign trail....you know he is a ZERO."

If that is all you heard, the zero is on the listening end, not the speaking end.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1823382 of 1947896
Subject: Re: Anyone Else Notice??? Date: 10/11/2012 12:22 PM
""When the President has nothing other than Big Bird to talk about on the campaign trail....you know he is a ZERO.""

SO you really think we should be borrowing money from China to pay for Big Bird, which is a $150 million a year profit making operation?

really?

really?

t

Author: nigelwhalmsley Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1823389 of 1947896
Subject: Re: Anyone Else Notice??? Date: 10/11/2012 12:48 PM
"SO you really think we should be borrowing money from China to pay for Big Bird, which is a $150 million a year profit making operation?"

I made no comment about that, and have no idea if what you are saying is true. I just pointed out that your comment was pretty idiotic, insinuating that all Obama has talked about is Big Bird.

"When the President has nothing other than Big Bird to talk about on the campaign trail....you know he is a ZERO."

Seriously?

Really?

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (30) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement