Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: LQueiros Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2323  
Subject: Anyone ever flown Air Europa? Date: 11/27/2009 10:50 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm looking to buy tix for my parents to join me in Portugal, sometime around the beginning of May, for 2 weeks. Tentative dates 5/1 - 5/16.

AerLingus had these yesterday for $635. Looks like their email for spring tix went out today. That price is now gone :).

I liked AerLingus not only for the price, but because it had the layover in Dublin. Normally I would like directs. But this broke the flight up into relatively short segments of 4h35m & 2h35m (+/-). Gave my mom time to stretch her legs in Dublin. She is somewhat mobility-impaired. I thought the 7-8 hour flights of directs would be harder on her.

Continental direct flight EWR-LIS is holding steady at $711 w/taxes.

Found Air Europa JFK-LIS via Orbitz today for $610 w/taxes. It makes a connection thru Madrid. According to their website, this is a new route for them. They fly an Airbus A330-200 to Madrid & a Embraer 190 to Lisbon.

Any comments on this airline? Better to buy tix thru Orbitz (with their "Low Price Guarantee") or directly thru the airline? I've usually done direct thru airline when the price is the same. In case of potential changes, seems to me it's easier to deal with them than thru a ticket re-seller.

The Air Europa tix seem to be a pretty good price, but downside for mom is the long flight to Madrid.

Also, if anyone hears of a better price out there, sure would appreciate the heads up.

Thanks!

Laura
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: LQueiros Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2297 of 2323
Subject: Re: Anyone ever flown Air Europa? Date: 11/27/2009 12:17 PM
Replying to myself here :) - I found the same tix on Air Europa thru the consolidator site www.vayama.com for $602.86 (inclus.), plus they are running a $30 off per booking T-Day special now thru Monday. So net for tix of $573.

I'm trying to figure out Air Europa's baggage limits. Their site says the ticket will tell you at time of purchase. Lovely. I want to know now. From their site:

http://www.aireuropa.com/us/en/guia_pasajero/equipaj.html
"...The baggage allowance will be printed on your ticket and will vary in accordance with the special conditions of the fare paid, as well as with the origin and destination of the flight, which will determine whether the “weight system” or “piece system” will be applied.

If no conditions are specified, in general terms:
- With the “weight system” you are allowed 30 kg in Business Class and 23 kg in Economy Class. However, please check your ticket for the conditions of your fare.

- If the “piece system” is applied, your ticket will indicate that you have been granted a PC (piece concept).
Irrespective of the maximum limit for the free baggage allowance or excess baggage, the maximum weight per piece is 32 kg (70 lb)...

The chart lower down has:
To/from Europe: 23 kgs. (Turista)
To USA: 2 pieces at 23 kg (50 lb) each, as a maximum, with a maximum size of 273 cm (108 in) adding the three dimensions of both pieces. (Turista)

Well...I'm going to Europe, but I will also be going to the USA on the leg back, so do I get 1 piece or 2, up to the 23kg limit?

Or maybe I just ate too much turkey & stuffing yesterday for a clear head...

Laura

Author: Globetraveler Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2300 of 2323
Subject: Re: Anyone ever flown Air Europa? Date: 11/28/2009 2:21 AM
I liked AerLingus not only for the price, but because it had the layover in Dublin. Normally I would like directs. But this broke the flight up into relatively short segments of 4h35m & 2h35m (+/-). Gave my mom time to stretch her legs in Dublin. She is somewhat mobility-impaired. I thought the 7-8 hour flights of directs would be harder on her.

Just to poke a small hole in your logic - the flight from JFK to Dublin is 6 hours and 30 mins, while the flight from JFK to Barcelona on Air Europa is 6 hours and 50 mins, so there isn't that much difference in time. Personally, I'd pay the extra $101 and take the direct Continental flight out of EWR for a flight time of 7 hours rather than having the long layovers and added travel time and hassle.

I haven't flown Air Europa. They used to be exclusively a charter service here in Europe, but a couple of years ago they started offering scheduled service and are a member of the Sky Team Alliance. It looks like they have a very limited long haul aircraft capacity (4 A330) and a pretty aggressive long haul schedule, so there isn't a lot of room for technical issues.

Author: LQueiros Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2301 of 2323
Subject: Re: Anyone ever flown Air Europa? Date: 11/28/2009 7:00 AM
the flight from JFK to Dublin is 6 hours and 30 mins, while the flight from JFK to Barcelona on Air Europa is 6 hours and 50 mins, so there isn't that much difference in time.

Aw, crap...next time I should drink the coffee before reading flight times, instead of after.

It looks like they have a very limited long haul aircraft capacity (4 A330) and a pretty aggressive long haul schedule, so there isn't a lot of room for technical issues.

That is an interesting point. I will throw that into the mix as well.

Personally, I'd pay the extra $101 and take the direct Continental flight out of EWR for a flight time of 7 hours rather than having the long layovers and added travel time and hassle.

Hmmm...with the special thru Vayama, it's down to $573 vs $711, so $414 ttl with 3 tickets...

...yet Vayama change fees are astronomical...Continental's aren't much better ($250)...AerLingus is only $100 (plus diff in fare, if any, natch)...I did actually use that feature this summer <a first>. With the ongoing repairs/upgrades at the house, I needed more time there, as the contractors were behind schedule. Last summer, AerLingus was only charging $60, and I lucked out that the fare on the mid-September departure end hadn't changed.

Many pros & cons...

How is Continental on refunding fare differences? If I book the $711 now, and there's a fare drop in February for spring fares, are they easy to deal with? Is it worth it to book thru Orbitz for their fare guarantee? Or too gimmicky since the airline may do the same?

With the fares thru the metasearches often being the same as the airline these days, I more-often-than-not deal directly with the airlines, since it seems easier to make changes when necessary if there's no intermediary agent.

Thanks,

Laura

Author: Globetraveler Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2302 of 2323
Subject: Re: Anyone ever flown Air Europa? Date: 11/28/2009 11:16 AM
Aw, crap...next time I should drink the coffee before reading flight times, instead of after.

I figured it was something like that. I just wanted to make sure you weren't talking yourself into a flight through Dublin because you thought it had a shorter connection. If it was 4 1/2 hours from New York to Dublin, I'd be on that flight every time. :-)

How is Continental on refunding fare differences? If I book the $711 now, and there's a fare drop in February for spring fares, are they easy to deal with? Is it worth it to book thru Orbitz for their fare guarantee? Or too gimmicky since the airline may do the same?

Looking at the small print on the Orbitz, it's only good for flights within the 50 US states, so this itinerary would not be eligible. I believe their low price guarantee applies to finding a lower fare on the same day you book. I haven't had a situation where the airfare dropped much lower. Mostly it is because I don't that far out, usually about a month or so out.

I've known folks who have got a refund in the form of credit toward another booking on CO and other airlines, but the fare had to drop a lot. I believe the airline would refund the difference between the airfares after the change fee was assessed for re booking the tickets at the lower price. If the change fees for CO are at $250, then the price would need to drop to around $460 before you start getting an credit.

Author: LQueiros Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2303 of 2323
Subject: Re: Anyone ever flown Air Europa? Date: 11/28/2009 12:12 PM
I've known folks who have got a refund in the form of credit toward another booking on CO and other airlines, but the fare had to drop a lot. I believe the airline would refund the difference between the airfares after the change fee was assessed for re booking the tickets at the lower price. If the change fees for CO are at $250, then the price would need to drop to around $460 before you start getting an credit.

Ah well, fat chance of that in May for Europe :)

Laura

Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2304 of 2323
Subject: Re: Anyone ever flown Air Europa? Date: 11/28/2009 12:16 PM
Recommendations: 1
Ah well, fat chance of that in May for Europe :)

You never know. I got screaming cheap tickets from Denver to LHR last May mostly by trolling often - total of $550 RT DEN --> LHR - one stop - on United. They were also not supposed to be upgradeable but I was able to upgrade my last leg home - IAD -> DEN - at the gate. (I was in the midst of some incrementally planned travel and still had another trip starting the next day).

Sometimes it's just luck and you gotta grab it.

rad

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement