No. of Recommendations: 11
I have, a legal thriller.

I've had the plot in my head for years, spent a lot of time thinking about characters, but I just can't do it. Made different outlines, discussed it with friends of a literary bent (who agree it's a great plot), started it a dozen times, it just goes nowhere. I know how the book begins and how it ends, but filling the pages in between with stuff that people would actually be interested in reading is beyond me.

I was an English major in college, wrote a short story in creative writing that floored everyone, but it looks like that one story is all I've got (okay, maybe I've got two or three good stories in me).

I am in awe of anyone who could write even a third-rate novel, if I could write even a third-rate novel it would be the highlight of my life. I can't begin to comprehend writing a first-rate novel, the talent those people have is mind-staggering.

Writing something that people will PAY TO READ is a tremendous accomplishment. I figure when I retire (hopefully young), I will devote all my time for 15 years to writing a novel that, in my wildest hopes, will be considered mediocre, and if I can accomplish that I'll be the happiest of men.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement