Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: billjam Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19224  
Subject: Anyone have AARP insurance? Date: 11/11/2004 4:26 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My car and home insurance are coming up for renewal. I'm considering a switch to AARP. One concern I have is giving up a local agent. It's nice to be able to stop by the office to discuss coverage or claims. I would also be changing underwriters for the first time in 11 years.

Has anyone had experience wiht AARP car and home insurance? I know the premiums are lower, but how are they on handling claims or other problems?

Thanks.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: fooldaveonce One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9407 of 19224
Subject: Re: Anyone have AARP insurance? Date: 11/11/2004 4:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
My car and home insurance are coming up for renewal. I'm considering a switch to AARP. One concern I have is giving up a local agent. It's nice to be able to stop by the office to discuss coverage or claims. I would also be changing underwriters for the first time in 11 years.

Has anyone had experience wiht AARP car and home insurance? I know the premiums are lower, but how are they on handling claims or other problems?

Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
We've had the AARP insurance, auto and home, with the Hartford for a number of years. We had one claim: a teenager ran a stop sign and broadsided my wife's car. She was unhurt, but the car (her pride and joy) was totaled.
She was so pleased with the Hartford's response she refuses to consider any other company. They had us into a rental the next day, assessed the damage right away and paid the claim. We had a $500 deductible, but that was paid that when the other driver's insurance kicked in its share. The Hartford handled everything except picking out the rental and the replacement vehicle.

Dave Johnston

Dave Johnston

Author: wcfenton Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9408 of 19224
Subject: Re: Anyone have AARP insurance? Date: 11/11/2004 7:11 PM
I did an "Online Quote" this afternoon for car insurance with AARP which came out $169 a year less then my current policy (USAA)with a little more coverage. I may take them up on it in January when my policy renews.

I didn't have as good a luck with the homeowners insurance screens. They kept me running in circles until I finally quit. Anyone else had that problem with an "Online Quote" for homeowners insurance from AARP?

I'm especially upset with my current homeowners policy from USAA. Living on the South Texas Coast and being subject to hurricanes is the main reason, I guess. They quit issuing windstorm insurance to homeowners in this area a few years ago. I now have to get that coverage through the state of Texas - at a premium (never had a claim). So I now have two insurance policys for the same house (three if you count flood insurance). CRAZY!!

They won't insure you if they (the insurance companys) think it may cost them something down the road. This is all prior to Florida's extremely bad luck this hurricane season. My heart goes out to all of you affected!

Regards,
Bill

Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9411 of 19224
Subject: Re: Anyone have AARP insurance? Date: 11/12/2004 8:16 AM
I did an "Online Quote" this afternoon for car insurance with AARP which came out $169 a year less then my current policy (USAA)with a little more coverage. I may take them up on it in January when my policy renews.

We looked into AARP insurance a few years ago when we were hit with a large premium increase from our "traditional" insurer (Allstate.) We found we could do better with AMICA, a mutual insurer for both our car and our home. (There was no discount for taking both, it was just that both were cheaper, and with the same coverage.)

I should explain a bit further: the premium the first year was the same, but at the end of the year AMICA rebates to policy holders any "overage" that they have collected. That depends, of course, on how much they have had to pay out, and if they were hit with catastrophic losses there might not be any "overage." Most insurance companies would simply pocket that, of course.

Each year since 2000 we have gotten back about $1000, plus or minus, making the premiums significantly less expensive than Allstate, or even the AARP rates we were quoted.

We have had two claims: one automotive (our RV windshield smashed) and one homeowners (flood in the basement due to broken water heater) and have been more than delighted. The RV problem was fixed "on the road" with a FedEx check. For the other, after determining that the water heater was at fault they not only paid the cleanup and damages to the basement (around $5000 to ServiceMaster) but went after the WH manufacturer and recovered about $1800, and gave us our $500 deductible back out of that. They kept the remainder to "pay down" the casualty loss to themselves.

I don't know if they have coverage in your state, but as I say we are delighted with them. I don't know if they have "online" quotes; we just called their office and they did all the work.

Author: ResNullius Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9412 of 19224
Subject: Re: Anyone have AARP insurance? Date: 11/12/2004 8:28 AM
We found we could do better with AMICA, a mutual insurer for both our car and our home. (There was no discount for taking both, it was just that both were cheaper, and with the same coverage.)

We've had auto and excess with AMICA for 25 years or more. They pay claims promptly and without any BS. They don't raise your rates when you have a claim. The rebates are nice, since they tend to push the overall premiums to a level below the competition. If your glass gets broken or cracked, they replace it without regard to how the glass got cracked, and they let you go to any place you want to have the work done. I've been pleased as punch with AMICA.

Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9413 of 19224
Subject: Re: Anyone have AARP insurance? Date: 11/12/2004 8:39 AM
We've had auto and excess with AMICA for 25 years or more.

Being a skeptic, I was naturally suspicious when they explained the "rebate check at the end of the year" part of the deal. So far there's been one - a healthy one - every year. I'm just curious: in your 25 years with them has there ever been a year when you did not receive something back from them?

They pay claims promptly and without any BS. They don't raise your rates when you have a claim.

That's been my experience. When they covered our "deductible" because they had gotten money back from the water heater manufacturer you could have knocked me over with a feather. (We still had to buy a new water heater, of course, on our own dime.)

I've been pleased as punch with AMICA.

Likewise.

Author: asteele Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9418 of 19224
Subject: Re: Anyone have AARP insurance? Date: 11/12/2004 1:35 PM
For California residents, check out the AMICA earthquake insurance. Costs less than the state-blanket-policies of other insurers, has lower deductible and greater coverage (use of rental house, internal belongings, etc.).

Author: wcfenton Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9419 of 19224
Subject: Re: Anyone have AARP insurance? Date: 11/12/2004 3:42 PM
Goofyhoofy...

We looked into AARP insurance a few years ago when we were hit with a large premium increase from our "traditional" insurer (Allstate.) We found we could do better with AMICA, a mutual insurer for both our car and our home. (There was no discount for taking both, it was just that both were cheaper, and with the same coverage.)

I just completed the on-line quote process on the AMICA Site:

http://www.amica.com/default.html

My quote from AMICA was $271 more then from AARP for virtually the same coverage. It was $102 more then my current Insurer (USAA).

I got the following statement from AMICA when I attempted to get an on-line quote for homeowners insurance: "Sorry, on-line quoting is not available for the state of Texas..." They indicated a toll-free number that I could call (1-800-242-6422) for more information.

Maybe I need to move to another state where they are a little kinder on their insurance and taxes.

Regards,
Bill

Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9421 of 19224
Subject: Re: Anyone have AARP insurance? Date: 11/12/2004 5:01 PM
My quote from AMICA was $271 more then from AARP for virtually the same coverage. It was $102 more then my current Insurer (USAA).

I'm sorry to hear that. Must be a state-by-state thing, because when we checked we found substantial savings through AMICA. Sorry to have given you a bum steer.

Author: wcfenton Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9422 of 19224
Subject: Re: Anyone have AARP insurance? Date: 11/12/2004 5:13 PM

I'm sorry to hear that. Must be a state-by-state thing, because when we checked we found substantial savings through AMICA. Sorry to have given you a bum steer.

On the contrary...I very much appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences.

Thanks again,
Bill

Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9423 of 19224
Subject: Re: Anyone have AARP insurance? Date: 11/12/2004 6:25 PM
wdfenton writes,

I just completed the on-line quote process on the AMICA Site:

http://www.amica.com/default.html

I got the following statement from AMICA when I attempted to get an on-line quote for homeowners insurance: "Sorry, on-line quoting is not available for the state of Texas..." They indicated a toll-free number that I could call (1-800-242-6422) for more information.

Maybe I need to move to another state where they are a little kinder on their insurance and taxes.

Make sure you know whether they quoted you a "dividend" or a "non-dividend" policy.

As a mutual insurer, AMICA typically gives it auto policy customers about a 20% rebate (i.e., dividend) at the end of the year. I think homeowner's policies get up to a 25% dividend.

You should adjust the quotes for the expected dividend to get an accurate comparison with other insurers.

interst

Author: ibnana Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9424 of 19224
Subject: Re: Anyone have AARP insurance? Date: 11/12/2004 10:05 PM
I think Amica is top rated by Consumer Reports. Isn't it the one that you had to be referred by someone to get it? I don't think it's true any more.

We don't have it....have used State Farm for 50 years and have never tried to get cheaper quotes, but we have been happy with SF and had only a few claims.

I have a friend who has Amica and is very happy with it.

Carol

Author: ResNullius Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9426 of 19224
Subject: Re: Anyone have AARP insurance? Date: 11/13/2004 8:37 AM
As a mutual insurer, AMICA typically gives it auto policy customers about a 20% rebate (i.e., dividend) at the end of the year. I think homeowner's policies get up to a 25% dividend.

You should adjust the quotes for the expected dividend to get an accurate comparison with other insurers.

Yep. I get a rebate every year, plus really great service.

Author: cliff666 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9427 of 19224
Subject: Re: Anyone have AARP insurance? Date: 11/13/2004 12:20 PM
I still keep my USAA auto insurance, after many years. I don't try to get a better price. There is the annual rebate to consider as well, and they won't throw me out for an accident or for getting old oranything like that.

House insurance is another matter. In CA, all insurers are reluctant to take new homeowners insurance, esppecially the earthquake coverage.

cliff

Author: sgtpp214 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9428 of 19224
Subject: Re: Anyone have AARP insurance? Date: 11/14/2004 7:47 AM
Have had auto insurance with AARP-Hartford since 96. I also had your concern about losing local agent. My insurance decreased 45% when I switched. Had my first claim in Jan 02 when I hit a deer on Jan 8. Notified Hartford that night. Next day in light of day noticed more damage than reported so called again and notified Hartford. Took van into repair shop on Monday and was given OK to proceed with repairs on Thursday.

I now have the van , two trucks, a fifth wheel trailer, home, and umbrella policy with AARP-Hartford. On Oct 8 damaged trailer and truck. Truck repaired and all claims paid in two weeks. I have the check for the trailer, dealer just waiting for parts.

I would recommend AARP insurance in a heart beat.

Dave

Author: billjam Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9429 of 19224
Subject: Re: Anyone have AARP insurance? Date: 11/14/2004 8:45 AM
Thanks to those who replied. No horror stories, so that's good. I got the online quote for auto and it was $21 less than last year with my current underwriter, Cincinnati Insurance. Haven't got the renewal from them yet but I'm sure it will go up.

I submitted info for home insurance quote but no reply yet. Once I get it I'll have to call and have them add earthquake and umbrella. Couldn't do that online. Also will need to get the discounts for having both auto and home. One thing I've always liked is Cincinnati's policy of locking home and umbrella rates for three years. Also their service has been excellent. Their rates are very competitive too. I let State Farm quote me a couple years ago and they weren't even close.

I hate to give up Cincinnati but my long time agent sold out a couple years ago and the new agency seems more interested in pushing paper and collecting commissions than really servicing their customers' needs. That would make the decision to give up a local agent much easier. Thought about switching servicing agents but the nearest agent, who I happen know pretty well, works for a bank that is rumored to be thinking about dropping it's insurance operations.

Author: ibnana Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9431 of 19224
Subject: Re: Anyone have AARP insurance? Date: 11/14/2004 8:24 PM
I think Consumer Reports rates Cincinnati very highly for car insurance. Here's Clark Howard's web site page on insurance. The top three listed are part way down the page. Other good links are there too.

http://clarkhoward.com/library/rolodex_insurance.html

Carol

Author: billjam Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9432 of 19224
Subject: Re: Anyone have AARP insurance? Date: 11/15/2004 3:25 PM
Thanks for the link. I certainly have been happy with Cincinnati.

Got my homeowner's quote from AARP/Hartford today. Spent half an hour on the phone with them making adjustments so what they are quoting matches the coverage I have now. In the end the price for auto/home combined with umbrella is about the same as I now pay. The rep kept changing numbers and I got the impression it was "we'll play with the numbers until we're lower than Cincinnati". Question is what happens to premium when I renew next year? I'll probably stay with Cincinnati at least one more year since my homeowner's rate is locked in from two years ago. Then I'll see how much they want to raise it for the next 3 year period and maybe give AARP/Hartford another shot.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement