Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 80  
Subject: Re: Hi! Date: 7/25/2005 9:50 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Anyone here have a pinball machine in their house?

Hey, how dumb am I, responding to a three year old post?

Yes, I have a pinball in my game room. It's called "Banzai Run", and it's actually two pinballs in one. There is the main playfield which is multilevel (but barely), and if you hit the drop-in cup in the upper left corner, an electromagnet comes down, picks the ball up, and carries it to the top of the backflash. Then the main playfield goes dead and there is a second pinball game up in the backflash.

Talk about difficult! You're playing on a nearly vertical playfield, so all the timings are different. Two flippers there, three on the lower (usual) playfield. (Unfortunately it has gone dead, and my pinball guy has moved, so I'm in trouble here.)

Before we moved into this house I had a larger game room and had another machine, a Ms. PacMan. It was also a game-within-a-game, it's been almost ten years, but I remember you had a lighted playfield, and on scoring a certain combination the main playfield went dead and the flipper buttons controlled a PacMan type lighting field.

I was told by a Pinball restorer I knew that "game within a game" machines were not so good at arcades because people found them too difficult to learn (too many quarters), but they were great for a basement - for exactly the same reason. You didn't get bored with them as quickly.

I also bought a KISS game for my brother, which is now in storage in his basement - but worth a bunch of money according to some eBay auctions I have found.

Sadly, I'm thinking of clearing out my game room to make way for a larger workshop. I've had one guy come in a bid, but I threw him out because he was a crook, or so I surmise from his bid.

In the package are: 3 neon signs (Miller Light, 5¢ a Dance, "Game Room"), Banzai Run, a Seeburg Sunburst juke box, a Wurlitzer teardrop speaker, a pachinko, a World War II pachinko style gambler (dispenses chocolate bars), a coin pusher gambler, a 1948 Coke machine (works!), a Robotron video game, a re-chromed "one armed bandit" in working order, a radio station "on air" light, a stoplight, a Walk/Don't Walk light (with mechanics), 2 gumball machines, a parking meter (reproduction), a copper and brass fire extinguisher, an "air dispenser" from a 1950's gas station, two re-chromed speakers from a drive-in movie, and various bar signs and product displays from the 1950's or thereabouts.

I paid more for the slot machine than his bid for everything. I don't expect him to pay me retail for the package, obviously, but he was a cheat.

As long as I'm about it, my first pinball experiences were in the 50's. It cost a nickel a play, usually for 5 balls, sometimes for 3 (which I avoided.) The first machines had a second "push" lever, which is how you brought the balls up from the lower rack to be shot, one at a time. Later they figured out how to automate that with a solenoid and a counter. Speaking of counters, the scoring displays had lights, but all they did was twinkle; the actual numbers were kept on spinning reels, which clanked into place, or, if you were any good, kept spinning trying madly to keep up with you.

I got to be pretty good, but my younger brother was always better. He was fearless in muscling the machine around, but rarely tilted it. Me? I was brought up that when you "tilted" you lost the entire game. He came up later, when a "tilt" only cost you the ball.

Ah, memories.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Starting a Small Business
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement