Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: gooffool57 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 3162  
Subject: Anyone seen the final movie yet? Date: 7/15/2011 12:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi Fellow Potter Fans!

Critics seem to love the final installment. I'd like to read what you thought.

gooffool57
<no plans to see it this week-end. maybe next w/e>
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Fuskie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3110 of 3162
Subject: Re: Anyone seen the final movie yet? Date: 7/15/2011 11:51 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
Oh go see it. The audience tonight on our 3D showing was really into it. As far as 3D goes, they did a good job. Sometimes when movies are largely dark/at night, 3D doesn't work too well but Yates did a good job adding depth without resorting to cheap tricks.

Second, there are moments where the literary faithful will cringe, but if you've seen the last 7 movies, you are prepared for that. Just be prepared to like it anyway and you will really enjoy this movie. My only complaint is that they went for the dramatic excitement of an action thriller instead of the emotional drama of a well crafted suspense thriller. All the critical elements were there, but I just didn't feel the payoff.

Then again, maybe it's just me. This was a really really good movie, maybe even an excellent movie. Just not a really excellent movie.

Fuskie
Who notes there were three moments toward the end of the movie where the audience spontaneously erupted into applause, and he bets you can guess when they were...

Author: medgoddess Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3111 of 3162
Subject: Re: Anyone seen the final movie yet? Date: 7/16/2011 6:20 AM
DD is at camp & I said I'd wait for her. :(
Kristi

Author: RainbowRider Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3112 of 3162
Subject: Re: Anyone seen the final movie yet? Date: 7/17/2011 10:31 AM
Recommendations: 7
I saw it yesterday with my Husband. We both agreed it was better than the first half which is strange since it was all filmed at once. I agree with Fuskie that I really miss the sacrifice of the suspense-thriller elements of the book, especially in the final scene with Voldy, but I have gotten to the point where I go to the movies for the visuals since they have to leave out so much of what I consider important in the books.

You know what I want? Now that CG is so good even on television, I want them to make a television series launching a new set of child stars and shoot one book a year (ok, ok, the last couple of books will probably require more than one season to do properly). That way they would have as many hours as they needed in order to stay true to the books and include all of the humor and wisdom, not to mention being able to give all the supporting characters (Mrs. Figg, for example) their moments.

Anyway, that is what I want and it is about time that it be all about me. So there.

Regards,
Rider

Author: kenm47 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3113 of 3162
Subject: Re: Anyone seen the final movie yet? Date: 7/17/2011 12:33 PM
I agree. An extended TV series could be good, but I doubt that they can get kids to commit to that kind of schedule for that many years. So, we would have to expect cast changes.

Just saw Part 1 yesterday for the first time, and haven't read the books for quite a while now. I thought part 1 was decent enough. DW said she didn't think Harry and Hermione sharing a dance in the tent for the length of that scene added anything. I agree.

I hope to take in Part 2 by the end of the month.

Ken

Author: SvenHoek Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3115 of 3162
Subject: Re: Anyone seen the final movie yet? Date: 7/18/2011 1:08 PM
Recommendations: 2
Critics seem to love the final installment. I'd like to read what you thought.

We happened to be off work last Friday so my wife and I caught a matinee. We opted for the 2D version not wanting to shell out the extra cash and I don't think that we missed much having seen the previous in both 3D and 2D. Anyway, we both agree with the critics and loved it. As others have said, you'll never get from the movies what you can from the books but I felt it was pretty faithful to the main story line. I think the fact that they split the last book into two movies helped it from becoming as rushed and disjointed as I felt Order of the Phoenix and Half-Blood Prince were. There were definitely a few adjustments made to the story but I didn't feel as disappointed with them as I have in the past. Who knows, maybe I'm just used to the film makers doing it by now and cut them more slack.

Some of the more emotional moments maybe didn't get enough attention as I would've thought but that doesn't mean that it didn't get dusty in the theater at times. My wife was disappointed that Hagrid didn't get much screen time but she hasn't read the book since it's initial release and forgot that he's not really in this part of the story much. Personally, I felt like the epilogue was as ineffective and out of place in the movie as it was in the book. I can understand why it was there but would've been fine if it was left out.

Anyway, it was a fitting end to the series of movies. I'm looking forward to reliving it all over the next few years as my daughter and I read through the books and then make out way through the movies.

Author: CarlHungus Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3116 of 3162
Subject: Re: Anyone seen the final movie yet? Date: 7/18/2011 1:34 PM
Second, there are moments where the literary faithful will cringe

---

I cringed a few times for this reason, especially during the climax scene.

However, it was pretty entertaining overall. Seeing them all pretending to play 30-somethings at the end made me (and everyone else in the theater) laugh.

-CH

Author: HardyWeinberg Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3117 of 3162
Subject: Re: Anyone seen the final movie yet? Date: 7/18/2011 1:54 PM
Anyway, it was a fitting end to the series of movies. I'm looking forward to reliving it all over the next few years as my daughter and I read through the books and then make out way through the movies.

Both of our kids took breaks of different lengths after we finished books w/ them where they thought they couldn't take any more intensity, but our 10 yr old eventually powered through and finished them all, on his own, and our 6 yr old, after a lengthy post-Chamber of Secrets break, has us back on a big push (~200 pages into Goblet of Fire, still no goblet yet). Each book w/ her we think she will take another break but then she goes and gets the next one.

They are both avoiding the movies post Chamber, they don't really want to see what they read (or had read to them).

Author: SvenHoek Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3118 of 3162
Subject: Re: Anyone seen the final movie yet? Date: 7/18/2011 3:22 PM
Both of our kids took breaks of different lengths after we finished books w/ them where they thought they couldn't take any more intensity, but our 10 yr old eventually powered through and finished them all, on his own, and our 6 yr old, after a lengthy post-Chamber of Secrets break, has us back on a big push (~200 pages into Goblet of Fire, still no goblet yet). Each book w/ her we think she will take another break but then she goes and gets the next one.

They are both avoiding the movies post Chamber, they don't really want to see what they read (or had read to them).

What a coincidence! We're just past the first task in Goblet of Fire with my 6yo daughter. There are times when we take a break because she gets distracted with another book or activity but eventually she asks for Harry Potter again. As for the movies, she would sit and watch them all at once if we let her but until recently I think the movies past Chamber of Secrets have been too mature (scary-wise) for her. At the pace we're reading at now I figure she'll be ready for each movie by the time we finish reading the corresponding book. We'll see.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement