UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: raetsu Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308722  
Subject: Anyone who can help Part 2 Date: 3/19/2008 12:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 14
Hi everyone,

I see I mean to clear up something.

-My step dad dont live with me he is just on my cell phone family plan
-My partner is 28 and I am 27
-The 19 year old is some kid that was living with us because my partner wanted him to. I guess she was trying to keep him out of trouble.

UPDATES
I kicked out the 19 as of monday march 17, 08.
My partner has until April 1 to move out. That was a hard convo and we may end up braking up because of all of this.

I want to cancel the cable but I have to pay $240 because of my contract. The cell phones is $150 a phone (3) to cancel because of my contract with they.

I did find three new room mates that will move in on the 1st of April. One will be paying $300 and that other two will be paying $350. This is only until Aug and then they will be move out.

One of the $350 people is in the army and will not be moving in until June.

-Quick background on the new room mates... My friend has a house that she was leasing to own, but because of some big problems with the house she was able to get out of the lease. She wants to move in with me and she comes with 2 other rent paying people. I am happy. She and I have lived together before so it should go good. She set the move out day to Aug because she has other plans at that point.

What should I be doing at this point? I am still job huntimg.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: raetsu Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 269810 of 308722
Subject: Re: Anyone who can help Part 2 Date: 3/19/2008 12:37 PM
Recommendations: 0
I forgot to add this to the last posting...

March 2008 Budget

Mortgage 7th $1,343.65
Car 3rd $190.00
My Savings 5th $-
United Con Fin 3rd $82.33
Water 10th $26.83
Tmobile 2th $402.08 (Usally $81)
NES (lights) 15th $241.56 (Usally $134)
Nationwide (car ins)11th $65.55
ADS 15th $24.95
Trash 7th $17.00
TDS(phone,cable)7th $156.12
Gas for Car 30th $100.00
Citifinancial 30th $15.00
Marc (Med Bill) 28th $25.00
Tithes 30th $-
Capital One 20th $150.00 (CC usally $50)
Suntrust 30th $50.00 (was scamed off of $2000)
Hair $-
Medical Bills 30th $50.00

Total $2,940

I make around $20K- $25k a year. I am looking for a career and a job at this point.

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 269811 of 308722
Subject: Re: Anyone who can help Part 2 Date: 3/19/2008 12:45 PM
Recommendations: 19
I just want to say, I have rarely ever seen anyone take such quick and decisive action when faced with a crisis. With that attitude and flexibility and "can do" spirit, I am sure you will dig yourself out of this.

I am sure it was a hard conversation with your partner. If he/she really loves you it ill work itself out. If not, they are not the right one for you. You need people around you right now who support you emotionally and are pulling for you 100%.

Hang in there, and good luck! You are on the right track...

Author: yaszmin Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 269813 of 308722
Subject: Re: Anyone who can help Part 2 Date: 3/19/2008 12:47 PM
Recommendations: 3
Hi Raetsu,

I did find three new room mates that will move in on the 1st of April. One will be paying $300 and that other two will be paying $350. This is only until Aug and then they will be move out.

One of the $350 people is in the army and will not be moving in until June.

-Quick background on the new room mates... My friend has a house that she was leasing to own, but because of some big problems with the house she was able to get out of the lease. She wants to move in with me and she comes with 2 other rent paying people. I am happy. She and I have lived together before so it should go good. She set the move out day to Aug because she has other plans at that point.

Does this money that the new roommates will be paying include their portion of the utilities? If not, you may want to revisit this and figure out what a reasonable amount will be to charge in addition to the rent.

Also, I would recommend having a written agreement. When will rent be paid, is there a late charge (and when is "late"), do you require notice before they move, etc. I understand that this is more of an informal arrangement, but I've found sometimes that even with the best of friends where everyone has all the best intentions, it sometimes helps to have things spelled out in writing. You always have the option to let them out of their written obligation, but without the written agreement, you have no recourse if someone says, "that's not what I meant" or "that's not what I agreed to".

Author: dswing Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 269831 of 308722
Subject: Re: Anyone who can help Part 2 Date: 3/19/2008 2:25 PM
Just a caveat about roommates: It's great that you're getting them, and when desperate they are one of the best options when it comes to getting your bills paid.

As a landlord I'll tell you though, it is dangerous to get roommates without screening them. Credit checks and especially criminal background checks are vital. It's really bad when you start to rely on someone else's income to pay your bills, and they decide not to pay that month... !

Advice is to keep trying to build an emergency fund, to have a cushion against emergencies. Keep up the job hunt, and try not to get discouraged, it takes only one place to say "yes". Don't be afraid to hear lots of no's.

Best of luck to you.

~dswing

Author: DrBooa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 269834 of 308722
Subject: Re: Anyone who can help Part 2 Date: 3/19/2008 2:44 PM
Recommendations: 10
Holy cow, raetsu, you only do two things, kick @ss and chew bubblegum. And it appears you are all out of gum. :-)

Strong work! Fast work! I think you're off to a pretty good start, there. The folks that ran up the phone bill--can you get money from them for their portion of the bill? I just see that $400 for cell phone and it makes me wince.

--Booa

Author: DrBooa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 269836 of 308722
Subject: Re: Anyone who can help Part 2 Date: 3/19/2008 2:51 PM
How much time do you have left on the car payment (as in, how much longer do you have to pay it before you own the car)?

Also, you want a career--what sort of career do you want? What are your strengths? What do you enjoy doing? What sort of degrees or qualifications or certifications or other little official pieces of paper do you have? What's the rarest skill you have that companies need? (You don't have to answer those questions here, but answer them for yourself.)

You might want to check out the Ask the Headhunter board here at the fool, or the Unemployed Fools board--people talking about looking for jobs and stuff.

--Booa

Author: scientista One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 269837 of 308722
Subject: Re: Anyone who can help Part 2 Date: 3/19/2008 2:53 PM
Wow raetsu I am really impressed. You have accomplished a lot, and fast.
I agree about setting boundaries with the roommates, however. I don't know if you need to go as far as criminal background checks, but you should definitely get some sort of written agreement detailing the amount, due date, and late fees related to the rent they pay.
We have a garage apartment that we rent to an acquaintance and we just evicted him because he is consistently late with rent payments and does other inconsiderate things (like parking in the driveway and blocking our vehicles in when we have asked him not to repeatedly). I doubt we will rent to anyone else but if we do we are getting something in writing and sticking to it...
Good luck with everything,
Evelyn

Author: Fuskie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 269848 of 308722
Subject: Re: Anyone who can help Part 2 Date: 3/19/2008 3:51 PM
Recommendations: 3
What kind of cable service do you have that requires a $240 termination fee? Most services I have used are just month to month. Are you getting free equipment that you would have to pay for? Can you reduce the features of your service instead?

As for the cell phone, take a look at http://cellswapper.com and http://celltradeusa.com, companies recommended by Clark Howard that will help you unload your contract onto someone who actually wants it for about $20.

Fuskie
Who has not used these services himself...

Author: dswing Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 269851 of 308722
Subject: Re: Anyone who can help Part 2 Date: 3/19/2008 4:42 PM
Recommendations: 5
I don't know if you need to go as far as criminal background checks,...

Spoken like an inexperienced landlord!

We have a garage apartment that we rent to an acquaintance and we just evicted him because he is consistently late with rent ...

Because you didn't perform a credit check. My guess is if you run his credit you will find years and years of the same behavior with other creditors.

I doubt we will rent to anyone else but if we do we are getting something in writing and sticking to it...

This "something in writing" is called a LEASE. You should never rent without one!

If you do want tenants in the future (or even a roommate!), please protect your own interests and do some research. A good way to start is at places like www.mrlandlord.com or the "owning rental property" board on the Fool.

~dswing

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement