Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Anyone with earned income can contribute to an IRA. The income restrictions are only on taking a tax deduction for that contribution.

Things have been this way for a long time - since at least the 97 tax changes if not longer.

As far as your brokerage or other IRA custodian is concerned, it's just an IRA account. They don't care if you can deduct the contributions or not. So it is up to you to keep track of those non-deductible contributions so that you don't pay tax on them in the future. The IRS makes this a bit easier, as you will need to complete form 8606 to report your non-deductible IRA contributions.

And before you ask - you can make contributions for the 2007 year until April 15, 2008. It is too late for any earlier years.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.