Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Anyone with earned income (or a spouse with earned income and filing a joint return) can contribute to a traditional IRA until the year in which he turns 70 1/2. Whether or not such a contribution is deductible depends on whether you or your spouse are covered by a retirement plan and, if one of you is, your income. See Chapter 1 of Pub 590.

And, provided you meet the earned income and AGI limitations, you can continue to contribute to a Roth IRA even after age 70.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.