No. of Recommendations: 0
I've got about 3 weeks to decide if I want Apple Care (about $100 for a second year of warranty coverage) for a new iPhone 5 32GB.

Anyone have a view on if it is worth it?

Ken
Print the post Back To Top
If you are the type that takes care of their toys then I would say save the 100 bucks for something else in life.

I do recommend an Otterbox case though. They are 50 bucks and will protect your phone like no other.

Troy
I've got about 3 weeks to decide if I want Apple Care (about $100 for a second year of warranty coverage) for a new iPhone 5 32GB.

What does it cost to replace if it just craps out? I found that replacing my iPad (64G, Verizon) would be $249. Not terrible for an $800 piece, so spending $100 to save $150 wasn't a great deal. (Had it gone acrappin' I might not say so, but I usually only buy these longer deals when the ratio is 5:1 or 10:1, like on an early flat screen TV I bought for $1600.)

Amble down to the Apple store and ask a Genius what happens if a phone goes kaput. They probably don't have real numbers right now for a 5, but I would ask about a 4 and see what they say; maybe that will give you some insight as to how they will handle things a year from now. (And doesn't Verizon have a $5 a month "guarantee" plan? Oops, I guess that's $120 by the time the second year rolls through.)
Good thought, but they're giving away "4"s these days with a contract and a "4s" is like $99 with a contract. I'll ask about cost to replace a "5."

I'm AT&T and their insurance is $10 a month. So, definitely not worth it.

So far, never needed Apple Care with my original "1" or the "4" or wife's "4" or her iPad3.

Ken
Keep in mind what this is -- Insurance. Nobody does this to loose money, so some portion of the $100 people pay is profit and expense at Apple.

I trust you are aware of how this works - if you are talking accidental damage as is dropped you pay a $49 deductible. While there is no deductible for a product failure in the second year, Apple Stores are well known for replacing products that are technically out of warranty in that second year for actual product (not accident) issues. I sense, but have not seen written in the accidental damage area you need to have a functionality issue -- i.e. if you seriously scratch the case, I question if you are going to get a replacement iPhone.

All that said, some folks are klutzes. Others are careless. If you fit in one of those groups, than at $100 this may well be a bargain. Paying $650 for a replacement iPhone is certainly more expensive than the $150 for insurance plus deductible.

Gordon
Atlanta
No. of Recommendations: 1
You have 49 weeks to decide. You can extend your AppleCare warranty up to one year from the purchase date. That's what I did with the iPhone4. I confirmed this recently at the Apple Store.

http://www.apple.com/support/products/faqs.html

Can I purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan anytime?

You can purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan anytime within the one-year limited warranty period. Your eligibility for coverage under the AppleCare Protection Plan starts from your hardware purchase date. Apple strongly recommends that you purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan when you purchase your Apple product to maximize the additional benefits provided under the plan.
Advertisement