UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: goofnoff Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 454782  
Subject: Apple Pie Date: 12/5/2012 6:18 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 30
This weekend I decided to make my own Apple Pie for the first time in my life. Because my wife is semi-invalid I've been learning to cook over the past couple of years.

The recipe called for 4lbs of apples and they suggest using three different varieties So I pop over to Wegmans where they have an 'apple consultant' to help me select. Lawdy, it's two bucks a pound for apples. I can remember buying apples for three bucks a bushel. The nicest macs and cortlands you'd ever want to see. Apple pie spice is $5.50 for about an ounce. I don't really have the tools to make my crust from scratch so I bought those roll out kind from the dairy case. I bought store brand, too and that was three bucks. I haven't turned on the gas yet and I've got $16.50 in the pie. The pie also called for fresh lemon juice, so add .89 cents for a lemon.

I'm not going to count the copay at the ER for stitching up the finger I mangled coring the apples.

So now I've got a $20 pie in the oven and I kick back to watch a football game while it's baking, all the time grumbling about inflation. I fell asleep watching the game and didn't hear the buzzer.

My wife tried to be nice. When she allowed that maybe the crust was a little overcooked, I just said "eat it and be quiet."
Print the post Back To Top
Author: notehound Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410568 of 454782
Subject: Re: Apple Pie Date: 12/5/2012 6:29 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I haven't turned on the gas yet and I've got $16.50 in the pie. The pie also called for fresh lemon juice, so add .89 cents for a lemon...
I'm not going to count the copay at the ER for stitching up the finger I mangled coring the apples. So now I've got a $20 pie in the oven...

Goof,

I'm sorry to hear about your injury. Please make sure it doesn't get infected. I try to avoid cutting and slicing as I play the piano and I have to protect my fingers.

If you had decided from the outset that you wanted an excellent "homemade" apple pie for around $16-$20, you could have just ordered one online from Mom's Apple Pies at the following link:

http://www.momsapplepieco.com/collections/pies/products/appl...

Author: rharmelink Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410569 of 454782
Subject: Re: Apple Pie Date: 12/5/2012 6:32 PM
Recommendations: 0
Apple pie spice is $5.50 for about an ounce.

You didn't have the spices that make it up? Typically just 4 parts cinnamon to 2 parts nutmeg to 1 part cardamon. Sometimes with a dash of ginger and/or allspice. Or mix to taste.

Author: steve203 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410574 of 454782
Subject: Re: Apple Pie Date: 12/5/2012 7:21 PM
In the "things you learn" dept: Hollanders *really* like their baked goods. West Michigan has a large Dutch population, so grocery stores are compelled to have in store bakeries. The best of the bunch is Grand Rapids based Meijer.

Meijer makes 9" of heaven: the Dutch Apple Pie. They even had it on sale a few weeks ago for a paltry $5.99, $1 off the regular price.

http://annarborfindnsave.mlive.com/Circulars/1000253/Meijer/...

The Meijer pie even got a mention in a Lexus owner's thread a few years ago.

This is not a typical "American Pie" story in a metaphoric sense, but rather a reflection of my love for Meijer's Dutch Apple Pie with integrated apple butter crumbs. I know this thing has a ton of calories, but it is the best thing I have ever eaten besides the bacon wrapped chicken at Fogo de Chão off 661 N. LaSalle St. in Chicago.

Read more: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/the-clubhouse/387101-meijer-...

So you paid three times as much for the components, and crippled yourself for life. So what? It's the thought that counts, right?

Steve

Author: jerryab Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410578 of 454782
Subject: Re: Apple Pie Date: 12/5/2012 7:38 PM
Alright !!! Wegman's !!

According to their website, they carry Tastykake products.

I am looking for two specific items:

Chocolate Cupcakes (no filling): $3.49/box.

Chocolate Juniors (Yellow cake w/choc frosting): $3.49/box.

I am in MN, so UPS ground works. Let me know what you can get and ship....

No cooking required !!

Author: WendyBG Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410585 of 454782
Subject: Re: Apple Pie Date: 12/5/2012 8:32 PM
Recommendations: 1
Holey moley! Apples $2 per pound?

I have 16 apple trees. I take what I want (delicious Gravensteins, Kings, Wealthys and Granny Smiths) and give the rest to the neighbors.

Wendy

Author: soycapital Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410589 of 454782
Subject: Re: Apple Pie Date: 12/5/2012 9:44 PM
<This weekend I decided to make my own Apple Pie for the first time in my life.>

The way I see it this is exactly where you made your first mistake. Certainly if you had just paused right here for a bit sir you would have seen this mess coming. How old are you?
Well worth the chuckle..............

Author: notehound Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410590 of 454782
Subject: Re: Apple Pie Date: 12/5/2012 9:58 PM
Granny Smiths

Mmmm. Loves me some Granny Smiths.

;-)

Author: goofnoff Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410616 of 454782
Subject: Re: Apple Pie Date: 12/6/2012 9:58 AM
How old are you?

66..but that is chronologically...

Author: goofnoff Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410617 of 454782
Subject: Re: Apple Pie Date: 12/6/2012 10:01 AM
We've got the cupcakes in the vending machine here at work.

I'll check it out for you at the store.

Author: jwiest Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410628 of 454782
Subject: Re: Apple Pie Date: 12/6/2012 11:05 AM
This weekend I decided to make my own Apple Pie for the first time in my life.

Funny, I did the same about 4 weeks ago, crust-from-scratch and everything. I daresay my experience was more positive, and everyone scarfed up their portion and asked for more :)

I added cinnamon, but curious what nutmeg does...?

Author: chirkup Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410629 of 454782
Subject: Re: Apple Pie Date: 12/6/2012 11:06 AM
If you're going to make apple pies (and want to reduce the time required and eliminate injuries) you need one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Back-Basics-Apple-Potato-Peeler/dp/B00...

They're great. You can even peel potatoes.

Len

Author: chirkup Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410631 of 454782
Subject: Re: Apple Pie Date: 12/6/2012 11:25 AM
Wrong brand. This is the peeler I have and love.

http://www.amazon.com/Victorio-VKP1010-Potato-Peeler-Suction...

Len

Author: spinning Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410633 of 454782
Subject: Re: Apple Pie Date: 12/6/2012 11:40 AM
I added cinnamon, but curious what nutmeg does...?

Well, it tastes good. And it gives you a mild high that makes you happy. Perhaps that is why it is used at Christmastime. The Dutch went to war to control the nutmeg in the East Indies. And the Dutch traded Manhattan to England in exchange for territory producing nutmeg and sugar.
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2012/11/26/165657050/no-inn...

Author: rharmelink Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410634 of 454782
Subject: Re: Apple Pie Date: 12/6/2012 11:45 AM
[Apple peeler:] http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000DE2SS

I can remember going down into the root cellar with my grandfather, 50 years ago, to use one of those to peel a bunch of apples for my grandmother, so she could make a bunch of her delicious apple pies for Thanksgiving.

It was actually pretty fun to use, at least for the little time I needed to use it, and only once or twice a year when my grandmother needed to make a bunch of pies for a family gathering.

Author: jwiest Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410637 of 454782
Subject: Re: Apple Pie Date: 12/6/2012 12:11 PM
Well, it tastes good. And it gives you a mild high that makes you happy. Perhaps that is why it is used at Christmastime. The Dutch went to war to control the nutmeg in the East Indies. And the Dutch traded Manhattan to England in exchange for territory producing nutmeg and sugar.

Thanks, I'm planning another pie-fest, so I'll be sure to try that.

Author: rainphakir Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410660 of 454782
Subject: Re: Apple Pie Date: 12/6/2012 2:18 PM
Recommendations: 5
Good for you Goofnoff
You made your first pie... and it was a success, although perhaps not at a 'pro' level?
That's ok. You DID it!

And, you've only been cooking for a couple years? You made the pie for your wife and yourself. I say well done :-)

Dont let anyone take that away from you.

Yes, there are 'industrial' pie companies... but a real benefit of home cooking is that YOU get to decide which chemicals, how much sugar, how much sodium, etc goes into YOUR diet.

As for having the 'tools'... for the pie crust you really only need a round stick - I use a 12 inch, 1.25 inch diameter length of oak dowel. I've read accounts describing using round glass bottles (think wine). I suspect that the first pie makers just 'patted' the crust to the desired dimensions, much like handmade tortillas.

You don't even need a pie plate/tin... 'rustic' works just as well.
here's a google for 'rustic pie'
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_nf=3&a...

For a GREAT pie crust recipe that is easy and simple, look to 'The Joy of Cooking', pastry section, around page 860 in the mid-1990's revised edition. Yeah, I know, every recipe ever concieved is on the internet... so what... sometimes a great cookbook is... well, great.

http://www.amazon.com/Joy-Cooking-75th-Anniversary-2006/dp/0...

You can also NOT use the 'high priced apples'. Granny Smith, Golden Delicious and Red Delicious also make 'delicious' apple pie. Yeah, I know, every apple pie cook has their own idea of what makes the 'best'... ok. I personally use the cheapest apples I can find, and I don't remember ever being unhappy with the results.

Again, Good for you! :-)
ralph

Author: tim443 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410943 of 454782
Subject: Re: Apple Pie Date: 12/10/2012 9:20 AM
You didn't have the spices that make it up? Typically just 4 parts cinnamon to 2 parts nutmeg to 1 part cardamon. Sometimes with a dash of ginger and/or allspice. Or mix to taste.

The story of nutmeg lead to Jeff speaking US English with a New Yawk accent instead of the impossible to learn Dutch. }};-D

Any <barely amused> mouse

http://www.care2.com/causes/nutmeg-a-spice-with-a-secret-tha...

Nutmeg: A Spice with a Secret That Isn’t So Nice

by Jan Cho
December 9, 2012
10:00 am

When some native islanders dared protest, the head of the VOC “ordered the systematic quartering and beheading of every Bandanese male over the age of 15. The population of the Banda islands was around 15,000 when the VOC arrived. 15 years later, it was 600.” An entire population decimated, and for what? A bit of flavoring for food?

At any rate, the Dutch clearly wanted the monopoly on nutmeg, which it just about had but for one nutmeg-producing island held by the British, called Run. After decades of skirmishes, the two companies agreed to a swap in the mid-17th century. In handing over Run to the Dutch, the British got a trading post out west that we now know as Manhattan.

Author: rharmelink Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410946 of 454782
Subject: Re: Apple Pie Date: 12/10/2012 10:26 AM
the Dutch clearly wanted the monopoly on nutmeg

Did you know the Dutch invented copper wire? It happened when two Dutchmen were fighting over a penny.

Now you know why I'm LBYM and such a miser.

But we do have some wonderful almond pastries...

And my grandmother used to make us some delicious Balkenbrij -- but she first had to ask the butcher to keep some parts of the pig they normally discarded. :)

Author: tim443 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410948 of 454782
Subject: Re: Apple Pie Date: 12/10/2012 10:46 AM
Did you know the Dutch invented copper wire? It happened when two Dutchmen were fighting over a penny.

Now you know why I'm LBYM and such a miser.

While many nations talk the talk the Dutch actually are very frugal. The ultimate compliment a Dutchman will pay his wife in public if he wants her to beam proudly is to say "She saves me lots of money".

Those skinny little houses with the narrow stairways required an outside crane to move the furniture in through the large windows. I visited some Dutch friends in Purmerend (near Volendam) and a third of my Saab 9000 stuck out the back of the tiny parking spots designed for tiny cars.

Tim <lived five minutes drive from the Dutch border for 13 years> 443

Author: rharmelink Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410957 of 454782
Subject: Re: Apple Pie Date: 12/10/2012 11:59 AM
While many nations talk the talk the Dutch actually are very frugal.

Living so close, I see you learned the "polite" description. :)

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement