No. of Recommendations: 0
In a thread I started here

http://boards.fool.com/refinance-or-not-30731026.aspx?sort=w...

I posted a question in my last post about the appraisal. I thought this might be a more appropriate board for that question.

If you want ALL the gory details you can read the thread. But the basics are I am looking to possibly refinance. My neighbors house sold last month for $184k. When the homes were built in 2003, their house was sold for $5k more than mine, so I am figuring I could get maybe $180k. The problem is I have a HELOC as well, and I am told the house would need to appraise for at least $195k for me to get a proper LTV figure. I could throw some cash at it so that an appraisal of $190k would be good enough. Is that even possible? I don't know enough about the appraisal process. The lady at the institution I'm working with says an appraisal will most certainly be higher than what I think I could sell it for. Is this true? Since we built the house I have had a privacy fence put in, an above-ground pool, and we had the basement finished, and all of the appliances except for the oven/stove (which is 10 years old) are less than 3 years old. My neighbors house doesn't have a pool, fence, or finished basement (at least it didn't last time I was down there).

So my question is, is it worth the $350 gamble to get the appraisal done? Given the information I've provided is $190k realistic?

Thanks for any help.
Print the post  

Announcements

Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
Buying/Selling a Home FAQ

Mortgage Professor
Offsite resource for mortgage questions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement