UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: lcd186 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 861  
Subject: Approved for SSI ! Date: 4/12/2010 1:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Just a happy update and post.

I can't believe I got it approved on my first try, but seriously believe that my recent hospitalization (suicide-related), a diagnosis including at least bipolar disorder (Axis I) and getting the application in as soon as I could manage helped a lot.

I still don't understand the entire process and I am expecting my initial payment (I understand the initial payment will cover from the date of the initial application, which was in January 2010).

All I really understand now is that it will hopefully help expedite some of the benefits I have been getting at the NY State level and I'll have some limited cash to be able to do things like buy household necessaries (toilet paper, detergent, etc.) as well as other things that I can't get on food stamps, no matter how basic.

Meanwhile, I had a glitch for more than month (from late February through until possibly beginning of April) in which I lost my Medicaid coverage. I need it to pay for my monthly psychotropic medications. I just got approved again in Medicaid so the first thing I did was to rush and get my meds refilled ASAP.

Also I will be getting it via direct deposit.

My only concern about SSI payments is whether or not bill collectors will try and garnish or apply tax liens on them, but I haven't proceeded with the bankruptcy options I intended to do a few months ago. A lot to do by myself, but trying.

Thanks,
Lois Carmen.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 844 of 861
Subject: Re: Approved for SSI ! Date: 4/12/2010 2:48 PM
Recommendations: 2
I'm so glad you got approved first try!

Ishtar

Author: blford Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 845 of 861
Subject: Re: Approved for SSI ! Date: 4/12/2010 3:56 PM
Recommendations: 1
Just a happy update and post.

I can't believe I got it approved on my first try...

Congratulations Lois!

Bill

Author: DWSZ Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 846 of 861
Subject: Re: Approved for SSI ! Date: 4/12/2010 6:06 PM
Lois;

Re your question about garnishment or tax liens: (Scroll down)

http://www.ssa.gov/deposit/DDFAQ898.htm

Best regards,
Duane

Author: DWSZ Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 847 of 861
Subject: Re: Approved for SSI ! Date: 4/12/2010 6:22 PM
Lois;

I forgot your question about bankruptcy:

http://www.moranlaw.net/socialsecurity.htm

Best regards,
Duane

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement