UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: bdhinton Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 25025  
Subject: Archie explains it Date: 10/4/2012 9:59 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4czdTaUQVg
Print the post Back To Top
Author: AdrianC Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23934 of 25025
Subject: Re: Archie explains it Date: 10/4/2012 11:02 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
...and we didn't come from monkeys you atheistic pinko meat-head.

There's at least two true statements there.

Never watched Archie. Did see the UK equivalent. Doubt that they ever had this kind of discussion in it.

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23935 of 25025
Subject: Re: Archie explains it Date: 10/4/2012 11:34 AM
There's at least two true statements there.

At least one academician I am aware of says that we didn't "come from monkeys", we are monkeys. To be fair I don't know if he has his PhD yet.

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23936 of 25025
Subject: Re: Archie explains it Date: 10/4/2012 1:52 PM
d
least one academician I am aware of says that we didn't "come from monkeys", we are monkeys. To be fair I don't know if he has his PhD yet.

???

someone posted a link a few weeks back--
I found the argument convincing

but PhDs don't impress me (>:

Author: AdrianC Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23937 of 25025
Subject: Re: Archie explains it Date: 10/4/2012 2:38 PM
At least one academician I am aware of says that we didn't "come from monkeys", we are monkeys. To be fair I don't know if he has his PhD yet.

Yep.

And we are 'meat-heads', in a sense.

Author: bdhinton Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23938 of 25025
Subject: Re: Archie explains it Date: 10/4/2012 3:36 PM
Never watched Archie. Did see the UK equivalent. Doubt that they ever had this kind of discussion in it.

The atheist "meathead" was the hero. Few social commentary shows have risen to the level of "All in the Family"

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23939 of 25025
Subject: Re: Archie explains it Date: 10/4/2012 6:00 PM
The atheist "meathead" was the hero. Few social commentary shows have risen to the level of "All in the Family"

Agreed.

It was an amazing show, using an extremely flawed guy to poke fun at society's prejudices. He was a raving bigot, but he was funny. And I don't recall that he was ever mean-spirited at all.

I was lucky enough to be watching first-runs when I was young. I'm not sure how well it would translate into the 21st century though.

Author: AdrianC Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23940 of 25025
Subject: Re: Archie explains it Date: 10/4/2012 6:47 PM
So it turns out (as usual) that the US show was a remake of the UK one.

Here's a clip:

Jesus was English!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWKy4RHf5tQ

Author: AdrianC Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23941 of 25025
Subject: Re: Archie explains it Date: 10/4/2012 7:03 PM
Recommendations: 1
Looking for the equivalent UK clip I came across this:

Dave Allen's thoughts about Adam and Eve
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGASvVqzOa0&feature=relat...

I liked Dave Allen.

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23942 of 25025
Subject: Re: Archie explains it Date: 10/4/2012 10:47 PM
but PhDs don't impress me (>:

I only mentioned it because I referred to him as an academician (which most people think of as a professor or equivalent). I've linked him here before, including the video he did where he made that statement (and backed it up).

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement