UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: fredericch Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 10373  
Subject: archiving old data Date: 5/19/2006 11:06 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm wondering if anyone out there who has used Quicken for many years has found it getting slower. I have been using Quicken for 5 years, and am afraid that the data file is just getting too big. I would like to keep bank transactions for the past two complete years, in order to have some idea of the evolution of my home finances, but there are so many closed accounts that I'm hiding, I'm afraid that the program is not performing well. Recently, it's been aborting more frequently. Even though I'm not losing data, it makes me nervous!

Of course, I want to keep my investment transactions from the beginning, in order to have correct cost bases. Is there a way to selectively archive data and reduce the data file size?

Fredericch
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7398 of 10373
Subject: Re: archiving old data Date: 5/19/2006 8:13 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
When I archived mine, it did not touch my investment files.

Donna

Author: drome Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7399 of 10373
Subject: Re: archiving old data Date: 5/19/2006 8:36 PM
I'm wondering if anyone out there who has used Quicken for many years has found it getting slower

Actually, I'd say it seems faster. I started loading data more than 7 years ago, going further back for investments et al, on a machine running Windows 98.
Now I have quite a few years more of data, have never archived it - especially the investment data - and am running it on a machine purchased just in the last year running windows XP.

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7400 of 10373
Subject: Re: archiving old data Date: 5/20/2006 12:59 AM
Now I have quite a few years more of data, have never archived it - especially the investment data - and am running it on a machine purchased just in the last year running windows XP.

I don't think there IS a way to archive investment data - other, of course, than making a backup and then deleting whole accounts and securities from your "current" file.

The other stuff, your new computer with 7 years of Quicken data is probably a lot faster than the computer you had 7 years ago with a brand-new-squeaky-clean set of Quicken files. And for that matter I haven't seen that three more years of data (WITHOUT changing computers) makes any difference in performance.

Author: xSixSigmaMBB Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7401 of 10373
Subject: Re: archiving old data Date: 5/20/2006 10:33 AM
Recommendations: 7
I recently had this same problem... I also started to experience some errors and burps from Quicken that had me worried. My Quicken runs on a P4 1.8 that has 768mb of RAM on it.

I had close to 10 years of data in my file.

First thing is first. Make sure that your "Cash Flow" accounts are all properly reconciled. Not a requirement, but you get better results this way. You'll understand why later.

Now make a good backup to your hard drive and then burn it to a CD or some other media. Make a written note of the ending ballances for your accoounts just to be sure when you are looking in the new file for the first time.

Third, go to File>File Operations>Copy

On the new screen that comes up, type in a a file name such as Current_YourName_Data.QDF

You then get to choose the range of dates that you want. You will notice 2 other options here also... This is how you get to choose to keep all of your Investment transactions.

Click OK

Lastly, open the new data file, compare the balances. If they are good, then make a backup of this data file and start fresh.

When I did this on my Quicken file, I trimmed something like 10mb out of the QDF data file. No more errors, lockups or problems and it is significantly faster.

xSixSigmaMBB

Author: KennyO Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7402 of 10373
Subject: Re: archiving old data Date: 5/20/2006 4:59 PM
...your new computer with 7 years of Quicken data is probably a lot faster than the computer you had 7 years ago...

Today Quicken opens perhaps a couple seconds faster than it did fifteen or so years ago on my Pentium 75MHz but I, for one, see no noteworthy improvement in Quicken file opening/using/closing speed. Whatever is taking a long time is most likely the application (Quicken), not the hardware and OS. Some apps just run sluggishly wherever they are.

KennyO

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7403 of 10373
Subject: Re: archiving old data Date: 5/21/2006 2:58 AM
Today Quicken opens perhaps a couple seconds faster than it did fifteen or so years ago on my Pentium 75MHz but I, for one, see no noteworthy improvement in Quicken file opening/using/closing speed.

With all the new versions in fifteen years, have you seen any noteworthy improvement at all?

Author: torobravo2003 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7404 of 10373
Subject: Re: archiving old data Date: 5/21/2006 2:43 PM
Recommendations: 1
Which version of Quicken are you using. I was using Quicken 2003 and it was getting slower and slower, especially during start-ups. Then I upgraded to Quicken 2006 and it is fast. There is a vast and noticeable difference.

ToroBravo2003

Author: KennyO Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7405 of 10373
Subject: Re: archiving old data Date: 5/21/2006 8:51 PM
Recommendations: 6
With all the new versions in fifteen years, have you seen any noteworthy improvement at all?

In all honesty, I use few enough of the features of Quicken that if they made sweeping improvements I probably wouldn't notice them. What I do notice is that Intuit doesn't see fit to fix some broken things. e.g. Splits are incorrectly handled; mergers are incorrectly handled; spin-offs are incorrectly handled; transfer a security from one account to another and you lose your holding period; change a company name and every transaction that occurred before the change is changed to the new name. (I bought American Home Products in 1998 and they changed the name to Wyeth in 2002. If I want to look up some information about the company I need to remember the 2002 change or I'll be searching for something that doesn't exist. That's not a big deal but accumulate enough little annoyances and you have a big deal.) Et alia.

<sarcasm>I know I'm unreasonable, wanting things to be fixed instead of being thankful for the annual addition of features I'll never use. That's just the kind of guy I am.</sarcasm>

KennyO

Author: fredericch Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7406 of 10373
Subject: Re: archiving old data Date: 5/21/2006 11:57 PM
I'm using Mac 2004. Thinking of upgrading to 2006, and wondering about this backup issue in conjunction with that.

Fredericch

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement