UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: aurelutra2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 31081  
Subject: Are our garden hoses - Date: 8/2/2012 7:18 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
spewing toxic chemicals?

http://ideas.time.com/2012/08/02/is-your-garden-hose-toxic/

Apparently the chemical composition of Garden hoses is not regulated!
(If you cannot access this article, try again on or after 8/6)

A/L
appalled
Print the post Back To Top
Author: gdett2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30292 of 31081
Subject: Re: Are our garden hoses - Date: 8/2/2012 8:03 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 9
Only a large scale overhaul of the regulations that govern what chemicals get into our stuff, such as the Safe Chemicals Act, can begin to protect us.

I just wonder where this stops.

Why are we not all dead already? I should have been in the ground 50 or 55 years ago. All the chemicals.

I just wonder how many gallons of water a person would need to drink from a hose to actually get sick from it? I used to live on hose water all summer and I am positive I drank hundreds of gallons of water from hoses laying out in the sun for years.

Are eggs killers of everyone who eats them or do they provide (whatever the latest craze is) and are now beneficial? Coffee kills you. No wait, it reduces the risk for some cancers.

I could go on and on but I believe anyone that believes all this stuff is shortening their own life by constantly worrying about whether the next thing they touch, taste or breathe is going to reduce their life by 2.13 seconds.

Gene

Author: DorMill Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30293 of 31081
Subject: Re: Are our garden hoses - Date: 8/2/2012 8:20 PM
Now over 70 and I used to drink from hoses. Don't anymore because I was too young to know how bad it tasted. I still drink coffee though...

My local Starbucks used to give me used coffee ground for my yard but they don't do that anymore. Did someone do a study and say it was toxic or something?

Author: AlsoChorizo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30294 of 31081
Subject: Re: Are our garden hoses - Date: 8/3/2012 8:24 AM
Recommendations: 4
Funny, I posted this a while ago.

http://boards.fool.com/to-all-the-kids-who-survived-23048008...

AC *seems to apply*

Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30295 of 31081
Subject: Re: Are our garden hoses - Date: 8/3/2012 8:29 AM
I just wonder how many gallons of water a person would need to drink from a hose to actually get sick from it?

If its like the saccharine study, rats were fed an amount that was humanly impossible to consume daily.

JLC

Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30296 of 31081
Subject: Re: Are our garden hoses - Date: 8/4/2012 1:04 AM
All of my hoses are rubber, and due to the heat down here in SC, I let the water run before watering my veggies or flowers. However, the composite of the fittings bothers me.

Donna (who uses a drip hose from her rain barrel as much as possible, also letting it run until the water is cool, before placing it near the plants.)

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30297 of 31081
Subject: Re: Are our garden hoses - Date: 8/5/2012 5:29 PM
Recommendations: 1
Donna, what is your rain barrel made of?

Do you scrub your roof before it rains? What about all that toxic dust and air pollution collected on your roof?

What are your shingles made of? What paint is on your gutters?

Are they all certified food grade? Is that safe enough?

Author: voelkels Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30298 of 31081
Subject: Re: Are our garden hoses - Date: 8/5/2012 10:47 PM
Recommendations: 3
Back in the early 70s or maybe in 1969, I remember reading about a Canadian lab doing laboratory tests on a chemical to see if it would cause cancer in mice. One of the researchers had the thought “What if there is something in out tap water that causes cancer in mice?” Ok, they did a study with three groups of mice, one was fed tap water as the normal control, one group was fed tap water plus the chemical and the third group was fed triple distilled water as the second control. After the study period was over and all the mice were dissected, it was found that the groups that were fed the regular tap water and the tap water plus the chemical had the same numbers of cancers but the group that was fed the triple distilled water showed an elevated number of various cancers, which shows that pure water causes cancer, no?
;-)

C.J.V. - should have died years ago from breathing DDT, lead dust, mercury vapors, radiation, etc., etc., me

Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30299 of 31081
Subject: Re: Are our garden hoses - Date: 8/6/2012 12:13 AM
Rain Barrel is rubber. Rain does not come off roof. No trees nearby.

Donna

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement