UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: millerpim Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75335  
Subject: Are Pension Plans Secret? Date: 7/27/2000 9:53 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
My company (read: president/ceo) has revamped our pension plan, to which it contributes 6% of each employee's annual salary twice a year. At a so-called pension plan meeting--presented by some insurance agent who didn't give anyone his full name or business card--employees were given a 5-year rate of return chart and asked to select from this menu certain investments.

Now that I'm partially vested in this plan, I asked my employer for a prospectus on each fund. I can't seem to get one. I looked up the investment firm (Mass. Mutual) on the Web and discovered it doesn't have a record of me or my S. S. #. I did find, however, two of the investments I had selected. The other two are not listed. The two listed invest in mutual funds. Yes, it's a mutual fund that buys mutual funds and charges a 1% management fee, which I figure is probably in addition to mgt. fees paid in the underlying funds.

I'm not saying there is something "fishy" going on. I simply want to track my investment portfolio and rate its performance. But if there is something fishy going on, how would I find out?

Doesn't the company have to give me a prospectus?

Now I hear my company plans to revamp the pension plan program again because we have an in-house insurance agent through whom it can receive commissions.

How much am I legally entitled to know about my company's pension plan and my status? If I can't get this information from my employer, where else can I get it? I am really at a loss here. Thank you.

elizabeth@pimn.org
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement