Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
Are PTA dues deductible?

Maybe. As noted on page 4 of Pub 526, membership dues paid to a qualified organization are deductible to the extent that they exceed the value of any benefits you receive because of membership.

Also - what documentation do I need for my donation and dues for IRS?
Is a canceled check or a google-checkout invoice sufficient?

As long as we're talking about less than $250 a canceled check is sufficient. More important than the checkout invoice is documentation that you actually paid it, either through direct debit or a credit card charge.

For a complete discussion of recordkeeping see Pub 526.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.