No. of Recommendations: 4
Are there any other reasonably feature-complete alternatives available? In terms of requirements, online transaction downloads, investment tracking, and being able to manage both personal and business accounts are important.

If you're really concerned about bugs and Intuit breaking stuff you use, you could either:

a) Learn to live without online transaction downloads. That's really the only thing Intuit has to force you to upgrade. Or,

b) Explore being able to download QIF or QFX files files from your financial institutions to import into Quicken It will be clumsier than direct download, but I'll accept clumsy over broken software any day of the week.

Yeah, Intuit disables imports of QIF files . . . except to cash accounts. I get around this by creating a cash account called "QIF Imports." When I want to import, I import to that account and then move transactions to the real accounts. I suspect this wouldn't work well with investment accounts, but I don't import those transactions.

I've been using Q2006 Home & Business ever since it shipped in response to my order for Q2006 Premier, when Q2004 shut off downloads in 2007. When brings me to another alternative:

c) Instead of upgrading to Q2013, you could get Q2012 cheap from a third party. There's been a whole year for Intuit to fix the bugs in Q2012, so you could have two clean years of downloading till you're forced to upgrade to Q2014 after Q2015 comes out. It's a strategy, and it might be cheaper than upgrading every three years to the latest version.

Patzer
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement