No. of Recommendations: 1
Are there any vehicles that I can use to make up for the loss of putting my own 15% away that would be tax deductible as the 401K is?

A traditional IRA would be the only other choice.

Already was doing the IRA (in my case Roth) but that is limited and hardly makes up for the 15% that was going into 401K. Am I stuck with taxable accounts?

Pretty much. But remember that the profit sharing plan is money in addition to your own savings, unlike a 401k that comes out of your salary. So if you remain with the same employer long enough to vest in the plan, you'll get additional compensation in the amount of the profit sharing contributions (plus their earnings).

These plans are an incentive to stay with the same employer for a longer term. Employee turnover is expensive to a company, and it's in their best interest to reduce it where possible.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.