Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Giml Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 196899  
Subject: are you a true christian Date: 2/6/2002 1:20 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
As our Lord predicted there are lots of false teaching around.
For those people who are interested to know what was apostolic faith
is like please check out
http://salvation.focusindia.com/

There are 5 sections .
I am a member of syrian orthodox church , probably one of the earliest
church in existence now. you are all welcome to check it out.

let me know your thoughts .

prphilip@yahoo.com

regards
paul
Print the post Back To Top
Author: glampig Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73147 of 196899
Subject: Re: are you a true christian Date: 2/6/2002 1:27 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Giml,

< I am a member of syrian orthodox church , probably one of the earliest
church in existence now. >

Finally, a member of the Orthodox Church around here!
Welcome.

Rick, the Texas glampig

Author: frindon Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73149 of 196899
Subject: Re: are you a true christian Date: 2/6/2002 1:54 PM
Recommendations: 0

There are 5 sections .
I am a member of syrian orthodox church , probably one of the earliest
church in existence now. you are all welcome to check it out.

let me know your thoughts .

prphilip@yahoo.com

regards
paul

Hi Paul,

I guess you are new to this board. There are those who will be very sympathetic to your church and those who are not. That is hardly surprising as anyone reading the site you linked to will see a number of areas which identify differences perceived by your church.
Why not stick around and discuss points, you may, in fact, end up with a greater understanding of your own church since you will think carefully about it.

Frindon

Author: TwinDeltaTandem Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73153 of 196899
Subject: Re: are you a true christian Date: 2/6/2002 2:28 PM
It's GREAT to have an Orthodox Christian on the board. We've discussed Orthodoxy quite a number of times--I'm one of several regular poster who is very intersted in your church. Now we'll be able to discuss it with you. Thanks for stopping by!

TDT

Author: Giml Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73159 of 196899
Subject: Re: are you a true christian Date: 2/6/2002 4:08 PM
Thank You ...
I will be glad to answer things i know about ..:)

regards

paul

Author: lhaselden Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73166 of 196899
Subject: Re: are you a true christian Date: 2/6/2002 5:40 PM
Wlcome to the board

Author: rev2217 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73168 of 196899
Subject: Re: are you a true christian Date: 2/6/2002 9:16 PM
Paul,

Welcome aboard, and thanks for the link. I don't have time to study it in detail right now, but it does appear to be solid theologically.

As a Syrian Orthodox Christian, you can bring a new perspective to the discussion here. I have often noted the consistency of many of what we sometimes call the "ancient churches of the East" with that of my own tradition, which is Roman Catholic. As a member of such a church, your perspective will be welcome on many theological topics!

Norm.

Author: rev2217 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73169 of 196899
Subject: Re: are you a true christian Date: 2/6/2002 9:19 PM
Recommendations: 3
Rick,

Finally, a member of the Orthodox Church around here!

Actually, "Syrian Orthodox" is a proper name. My understanding is that the word "orthodox" does not imply communion with the Ecumenical Patriarch in this instance. Many of the so-called "ancient churches of the east" use the words "orthodox" and "catholic" in their full names, even though they have been completely autonomous since the first century.

Norm.

Author: rev2217 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73170 of 196899
Subject: Re: are you a true christian Date: 2/6/2002 9:26 PM
Recommendations: 4
John,

It's GREAT to have an Orthodox Christian on the board. We've discussed Orthodoxy quite a number of times--I'm one of several regular poster who is very intersted in your church. Now we'll be able to discuss it with you. Thanks for stopping by!

By way of clarification, my understanding is that the "orthodox" in "Syrian Orthodox" does not imply communion with the Ecumenical Patriarch of the orthodox churches of eastern Europe that severed communion with the Catholic Church in the "Great Schism" of 1054 AD. Rather, I believe that the Syrian Orthodox Church one of several "ancient churches of the east" that have been autonomous since the first century. Many of the "ancient churches of the east" have the words "catholic" and/or "orthodox" in their full names even though they do not maintain full communion with either the Catholic Pope or the Orthodox Ecumenical Patriarch.

Norm.

Author: glampig Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73178 of 196899
Subject: Re: are you a true christian Date: 2/7/2002 12:34 AM
rev2217,

< Actually, "Syrian Orthodox" is a proper name. My understanding is that the word "orthodox" does not imply communion with the Ecumenical Patriarch in this instance. Many of the so-called "ancient churches of the east" use the words "orthodox" and "catholic" in their full names, even though they have been completely autonomous since the first century. >

You're right, Norm. Had I taken the time to read the attached link I would have caught the error. This is from the first paragraph in the INTRODUCTION:

"The church had neither added anything to it nor taken away anything from it. It has always held the faith defined by the Three Universal Synods of Nicea, Constantinople, and Ephesus in the 4th and 5th Century."

The Syrian Orthodox Church is monophysite with possible Nestorian influences. I'll check into it next week. I'm embarrassed. First a confusion of Ruth and Esther and now this. I'm losing it, big time. Accuracy in homework, Rick. Tighten it up.

Author: glampig Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73179 of 196899
Subject: Re: are you a true christian Date: 2/7/2002 1:23 AM
Recommendations: 2
Me: < The Syrian Orthodox Church is monophysite with possible Nestorian influences. >

This may not be accurate either. Henophysite might be closer. Jacobite influence is another possibility. Either way, I'm pleased we have a newcomer :-)
The Syrian Orthodox Church has survived horrible persecution through the centuries. These Christians have earned our respect. They deserve a fair hearing.

http://www.syrianorthodoxchurch.org/

Rick, the glampig

Author: Giml Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73187 of 196899
Subject: Re: are you a true christian Date: 2/7/2002 9:45 AM
The church has no Nestorian influence because the first split
was aginst the Nestor vs the rest.... But there is a lot of
'Jacobian' influence . :) that is why as a nick name they are
called 'Jacobytes'

check out this link

http://sor.cua.edu

regards

paul

Author: glampig Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73189 of 196899
Subject: Re: are you a true christian Date: 2/7/2002 11:21 AM
Giml,

< The church has no Nestorian influence because the first split
was aginst the Nestor vs the rest >

I was attempting (poorly) to imply that your Church's theology had been shaped/influenced by the Nestorian controversy, not that your Church is Nestorian in nature.
Thanks for the link. One more time, welcome, Paul. I'm excited about your presence here and hope to learn from you. I'm not alone it that.

Rick, the glampig (leaving soon for a Bible study conference)

Author: rev2217 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73232 of 196899
Subject: Re: are you a true christian Date: 2/8/2002 1:33 AM
Rick,

The Syrian Orthodox Church is monophysite with possible Nestorian influences.

Pope Pius XII issued a statement back in the 1950's regarding the misunderstanding that led to several of the "ancient churches of the east" being branded as monophysite. Basically, his statement said that such churches "depart from the right way only in the words that they use to expound the doctrine" but that the their belief in the humanity and divinity of Jesus was in fact correct and that the correctness of their belief could be deduced, above all, from their liturgical books.

In the wake of such a papal determination, continued use of the term "monophysite" in reference to these churches is not appropriate. There have also been indications from ecumenical dialog that the statements of statements of Nestorius have received radically different interpretations in the oriental and occidental churches, causing a condemnation on one side and endorsement on the other in spite of theological convergence on what is right. In any case, I'll let our bishops sort out these issues....

Norm.

Author: rev2217 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73288 of 196899
Subject: Re: are you a true christian Date: 2/9/2002 10:34 PM
Rick,

The Syrian Orthodox Church has survived horrible persecution through the centuries. These Christians have earned our respect. They deserve a fair hearing.

http://www.syrianorthodoxchurch.org/

Thanks for posting the link. It looks very worthwhile!

Norm.

Author: rev2217 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73289 of 196899
Subject: Re: are you a true christian Date: 2/9/2002 10:39 PM
Paul,

check out this link

http://sor.cua.edu

Thank you for the link. It looks very interesting!

Norm.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement