UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: lindytoes Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 60200  
Subject: Are You Giving Up on the News? Date: 3/22/2013 9:55 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
Regular network evening news broadcasts have lost more than 1/2 their audience since 1980, but at least their feature stories present news gathered and curated by journalists. Cable networks may replace fact with opinion.

http://blog.aarp.org/2013/03/19/are-you-giving-up-on-the-new...
Are You Giving Up on the News?
<snip>
Today, as a recent AARP poll shows, journalists have joined members of Congress and used-car salesmen in the category of folks that few people trust. And a new report from the Pew Research Center’s Project for Excellence in Journalism dives deeply into some of the reasons that this is so, while it examines the demographics and economics of the news business today.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: salaryguru Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48491 of 60200
Subject: Re: Are You Giving Up on the News? Date: 3/22/2013 1:54 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
Interesting. I've quit watching TV news almost entirely and I used to be fairly devoted to getting multiple fixes of the stuff daily.

But TV news has replaced well-informed, diligent reporters with ignorant, pretty talking heads. They have stopped trying to find and report the truth and instead simply stick the mic under the noses of the two most extreme people they can find and let them spew whatever they want. Every story is sensationalized beyond reality. I'm more likely to hear a story about what 5 year old school children think about immigration than I am to hear any detailed facts and figures on the topic.

If TV news is on it's death bed, then good riddance. They deserve it. I just worry about how much longer we will be able to find actual facts, data, and investigative reporting on the few sites on the internet where it still exists.

Author: StockGoddess Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48492 of 60200
Subject: Re: Are You Giving Up on the News? Date: 3/22/2013 4:09 PM
Recommendations: 18
If you want content rather than sensationalized headlines and something that truly is balanced forget tv and wake up to NPR on the radio.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48493 of 60200
Subject: Re: Are You Giving Up on the News? Date: 3/22/2013 5:16 PM
Recommendations: 0
I was amazed by liberal niece gets her news each day on the Daly show, which she watches on her iPad.

She never watches network TV.....the only time she has the TV on is to play a DVD.

I don't watch network TV.

Gave up on CNN.....they turned into the Commie News Network. Continuous praise for Barack....... I can do without that.

Watch FOX news now and local news.

t.

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48494 of 60200
Subject: Re: Are You Giving Up on the News? Date: 3/22/2013 5:24 PM
Recommendations: 1
Watch FOX news now

Really?!

Author: PucksFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48496 of 60200
Subject: Re: Are You Giving Up on the News? Date: 3/22/2013 8:45 PM
The last nightly news broadcast I remember watching regularly was the ABC news with Harry Reasoner and Howard K. Smith, and then Saigon fell.

PF

Author: MissEdithKeeler Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48497 of 60200
Subject: Re: Are You Giving Up on the News? Date: 3/22/2013 10:29 PM
I gave up my TV.

Author: PolymerMom Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48498 of 60200
Subject: Re: Are You Giving Up on the News? Date: 3/22/2013 10:50 PM
Recommendations: 6
NPR was subverted when Dubya put one of his cronies in charge. That's why Bob Edwards was shoved out the door.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Edwards#Controversial_depar...

Steve Inskeep tries to do a decent job of interviewing people, but most of the time its more of the same old "He said/She said". There's no serious counterpoint to the "common wisdom", such as "Deficits are killing us". Bob Edwards would track down serious challenges and grill them.

Author: PolymerMom Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48499 of 60200
Subject: Re: Are You Giving Up on the News? Date: 3/22/2013 10:52 PM
We usually catch the PBS Newshour, if we're ready to eat supper.

Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48500 of 60200
Subject: Re: Are You Giving Up on the News? Date: 3/22/2013 11:27 PM
I remember that Dan Rather said "there's a special place in heaven" for people who still watch the CBS Evening News after the network dropped NFL football.

intercst

Author: CountNoCount Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48502 of 60200
Subject: Re: Are You Giving Up on the News? Date: 3/22/2013 11:59 PM
Recommendations: 2
Watch FOX news now

Really?!

No! I can't believe it! Tele watches Fox? No, really.

Count No'Count

Author: sykesix Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48505 of 60200
Subject: Re: Are You Giving Up on the News? Date: 3/23/2013 1:09 AM
Gave up on cable news years ago. Complete garbage. CNN went into the tank shortly after Ted Turner sold it. For some reason CNN decided Headline News didn't actually mean headline news, so I actually used to watch Shepard Smith's show on Fox for daily roundup kind of stuff. Then I decided I didn't need cable.

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48508 of 60200
Subject: Re: Are You Giving Up on the News? Date: 3/23/2013 5:33 AM
Even Google News has gone way downhill. They used to offer several versions of the same story from a wide variety of news sources domestic and foreign. I don;t know, but I'm guessing they have to be paid to include a news source now, only the wealthiest need apply. No mroe CHristian Science Monitor, Al Jazeera, better European newspapers.

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48512 of 60200
Subject: Re: Are You Giving Up on the News? Date: 3/23/2013 2:02 PM
You have to recognize that all news outlets and agencies have
a perspective - and stories can be not only selected but written
to cause folks to think in a certain manner. The concept of "Group Think"
is quite alive and well.
So, when looking at or reading the "news", you need to be on guard -
what are "they" trying to sell you?
You have to disengage your typical mental "response" when watching,
listening or reading.
That said, there tends to be different coverage of news overseas
than in the US. The BBC tends to be a good source - just turn off the
editorial views and remember that all sources can not only be wrong - but
absolutely wrong-headed as well.

Howie52
Unfortunately, George Orwell seems to have predicted the future of
journalism quite well. However, things do change and it only takes
a few folks with integrity to light the candles which lead folks
out of the muck and mire.

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48520 of 60200
Subject: Re: Are You Giving Up on the News? Date: 3/23/2013 7:52 PM
"and stories can be not only selected but written to cause folks to think in a certain manner. The concept of "Group Think" is quite alive and well. So, when looking at or reading the "news", you need to be on guard - what are "they" trying to sell you?" - Howie
------------------------------------

"Still the man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest"

from "The Boxer" by Paul Simon.

I think it's called "comparison bias". We filter out the stuff that doesn't fit with how we believe the Universe works.

Art

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48521 of 60200
Subject: Re: Are You Giving Up on the News? Date: 3/23/2013 8:49 PM
""Still the man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest"

from "The Boxer" by Paul Simon.

I think it's called "comparison bias". We filter out the stuff that doesn't fit with how we believe the Universe works.

Art "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There is a fine "art" to listening.

Howie52
really there is - takes a focus.
But not everything said is true - not everything believed is
correct - not everything we all intuitively understand to be
universal truth is fact.

Hearing those things we wish were not truth take a lot out of folks.
And messengers are so fragile.

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48524 of 60200
Subject: Re: Are You Giving Up on the News? Date: 3/23/2013 10:28 PM
I forgot to mention "The Economist" magazine. A wonderful little weekly
news rag which covers the world quite effectively.
I don't always agree with the editorial comment - but the news coverage
portion excels.

Howie52

Author: CindyC72 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48538 of 60200
Subject: Re: Are You Giving Up on the News? Date: 3/24/2013 6:24 PM
I forgot to mention "The Economist" magazine. A wonderful little weekly
news rag which covers the world quite effectively.
I don't always agree with the editorial comment - but the news coverage
portion excels.

Howie52

One of my favorites.

Cindy

Author: StockGoddess Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48706 of 60200
Subject: Re: Are You Giving Up on the News? Date: 4/1/2013 2:46 PM
How about catching US news on the BBC? (British Broadcasting )

Author: PolymerMom Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48708 of 60200
Subject: Re: Are You Giving Up on the News? Date: 4/1/2013 10:03 PM
How about catching US news on the BBC?

I typically go to sleep listening to the BBC's WorldNews program - carried by the local NPR station (11 p.m. - 5 a.m., in our neck of the woods). It's really quite informative, although I usually catch only the first 20-30 minutes. The sports scores send me off to sleepland<g>.

Besides, it's a great way to ignore all the circling thoughts about things that happened during the day. Sort of white noise from the rest of the world<g>.

PM

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement