No. of Recommendations: 0
Are you *required* to roll over your TSP? I'm pretty sure that you can still adjust your mix of the 5 or so funds in it even though you're not part of the military. I'd echo the opinion of the other poster that you're not going to find better funds available than the ones in the TSP. I'd recommend using the TSP as the base of your portfolio -- it's diversified and so should give you some stability.

Anyway, you can start an IRA with any IRA custodian, but when you do you can only invest in items that that custodian allows. If you open an IRA at a bank, you can only invest in bank products. If you open an IRA at a mutual fund company, you can only invest in that company's mutual funds. If you open an IRA at a broker, you can invest in just about anything.

> 36 month CD
The bank hopes that each year you'll contribute $4000 and put it into a new 36 month CD.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement