UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: NarnCeredir One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76418  
Subject: Re: Pensions Date: 3/16/2011 7:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Are you sure about this? I have NEVER heard of govt employee mandated pension (defined benefit plan) contributions to be after tax. This can happen electively in a defined contribution plan....but I can't imagine why the employer would require non-elective employee contributions to be after tax...and I can't imagine ERISA (dept of Labor) would allow it.

Absolutely sure. But the benefits are not taxed when they're paid upon retirement (so I suppose the closest comparison for tax purposes is a traditional IRA vs. a Roth IRA). And, of course, the employer contribution is made on a pre-tax basis. How about that! But the only reason I don't like this system is that my student loan repayment is based on my adjusted gross income, and post-tax pension contributions won't help reduce that at all. See question 8 below:

http://etf.wi.gov/news/Budget_Repair_Bill_Whats_New.pdf

Nope...can't be done. ERISA has very strict vesting laws on employer contributions. What you've described was the pre 1974 ERISA cutesie game unscrupulous employers would play on unsuspecting employees, where all plan contributions would not vest until retirement age...and then the employer would fire them the year before this...which as you've described it is what could happen with this pension plan.

What you may mean is that if you leave the employer within a certain time period (up to 5 years under current rules), you would lose all employer contributions. This is a 5 year cliff vest...but your employer could also use a 3 to 7 year graded vesting schedule.

Yes, it absolutely can be (and is) done. Vesting in the WRS is automatic as of your first day of employment, but the only portion that an employee can take with them is their 5.8% contribution. If you do not leave the funds in your WRS account until age 55, the lowest age for retirement benefits, you forfeit the employer contribution. See:

http://etf.wi.gov/members/benefits_separation.htm

-Narn Ceredir
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement