Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: SRenaeP Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5068  
Subject: Re: Whare are they? Date: 1/7/2010 4:03 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Are you using expected annual expenses with an inflation factor as AI? In retirement there's no more saving for retirement (that 20% is a big hunk of your high incomes), no SS or Medicare contributions, most likely lower income taxes, even if your health care costs = your mortgage payments.

There's also the possibility of downsizing, moving to a lower COL area, buying a more energy-efficient home, sharing a single car, buying a more energy-efficient car.

When I said annual income, I meant our actual gross income. As far as retirement needs, I expect to need 70% of our current gross (we currently don't see 30% due to tithing and retirement savings).

Our current home (purchased 3 years ago) is our 'forever' home and we have no intentions of downsizing or moving. Our plan is to basically keep our lifestyle the same except don't work and travel more (we travel a lot now). Therefore any tax or mortgage savings could be eaten up by increased travel and leisure expenses. I prefer to plan conservatively since our savings will have to sustain us for 40+ years and we want to lead a fairly comfortable lifestyle. It's like what's the point of not working only to sit home and not enjoy life.

-Steph
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement