No. of Recommendations: 0
Has there been any recent discussion on the subject stock? I own a fair amount that has appreciated very nicely in addition to its hefty dividend. However, due to some cash needs, I'm thinking of selling some, as it's yield has now dropped to the low 6's%. However, I'd like to see some recent (or new) discussion on the investment. Thanks.

Bill
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Bill:
There has been discussion within the past year. You might do a search of this board and you should be able to find it. I've owned AREEP for a while now. If I recall I bought it in the teens. Good company, decent yield even now. I will continue to hold.

Gracepeace
I have a ton of Areep at least for me, The yield is still 6.33%
plus the prospect of convertibility to a very good company ARE.

Holding Tony
We bought 200 shares @ $13 in 2009 and 200 @ abt $24 in Dec. 2011 and will continue to hold.
No. of Recommendations: 15
Hold onto AREEP if you can. It's not callable, except if the stock flies past $100, and a low-6% yield for this quality is pretty good. I own a lot of it, and it's one of my stronger holdings.

The biggest dilemma for flexible REIT investors these days is whether to trade quality pfds with YTFCs of around 5%, e.g., ESSpH, for quality REIT commons yielding 4-5%, e.g., ROIC, HCN, HME et al. But there is no "right" or "wrong" answer to that issue; it all depends on one's investment return requirements and tolerance for risk (or even volatility).

Personally, I am reinvesting a portion of the proceeds I receive when pfds I own are being called in REIT commons and non-REIT commons. I am giving up some yield, but the risk-adjusted value advantage previously enjoyed by REIT pfds is now, IMO, waning. I just wish I had a bit more confidence in stronger growth for the US economy. It would sure be nice to get the fiscal cliff resolved, not to mention Europe. But, of course, if that were to happen, stocks would be trading a lot higher.

Ralph
Advertisement