UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: greendolphin One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308660  
Subject: Re: See Photo ID Date: 10/3/2003 9:34 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
ARGGGGH.....Do you know how annoying it is to take the extra step of locating the license, handing it to a clerk, having them take FOREVER trying to make sure the photo ID is not a fake (most not having been trained well to do that). Asking over and over again- "is that really your name?" "Are you sure this is really you...'cause in this light it doesn't look exactly like you, but I'll take your word for it!"

HAHAHA!!!

It's bad enough that when paying in cash, it takes forever with new clerks who hold up each $20 bill, each $10 bill, each $5 bill..each $1 bill.

The point is, if your card is stolen...you report it ASAP. You don't carry more than 1 card with you. You know exactly where all your cards are at all times. Then you don't worry about someone trying to forge your signature, with your card in their hand.

My card was stolen once in the last 14 years, someone charged some gas on it and other stuff...added up to $200...I had called the credit card company immediately, I never had to pay a dime. They issued a new card/new #.

Getting people in the habit of needlessly checking ID, when it's not policy, just ends up making the lines a lot longer...and some of us are in a rush. I try to withdraw money in advance most of the time, but sometimes I need to use my bank card.

Since the mall that was near my old home instituted the policy of requiring photo ID with credit cards for purchases over $50, I stopped putting anything on the bank card over $50 there...I found another mall to shop in, too. IF I end up there for some reason, though...I'll withdraw several hundred dollars in advance, go shopping, then just withdraw less money the next week for groceries (since I'll have extra cash on hand for it.)

You think photo IDs solve everything? A friend had his license stolen. That guy ended up in a car accident. My friend was with a few friends the whole night of that accident, but HIS name ended up in the police report. They eventually caught the guy, he looked absolutely NOTHING like my friend...the cop didn't take a long time to compare the photos, I guess...he saw dark hair, similar complexion, same gender...that's all he looked for.

And, I always sign my cards as soon as they come in the mail...I immediately activate them and cut up the old ones. I'm too type-A to leave them around unsigned. It's too dangerous, since as it was stated in this string...anyone can easily sign them.

In fact, if people just put "see photo ID" in that box...you're giving some freak the opportunity to squeeze in THEIR signature and hope that the clerk doesn't bother to check for ID. IF they do ask for it...all the person has to say is "Oh, I forgot my photo ID today...I was being a little paranoid and wrote that in....but see my signature matches perfectly...and it's not really this store's policy to force an ID check...so....." and I bet ya it'll go through.

That's my 2 cents. I thoroughly thank every store clerk who is fast, helpful and doesn't ask for more than is required...and I return to those stores often. I have NEVER in my life ever had a clerk who did NOT flip that card over and spend the 15 seconds necessary to compare the signatures. A couple of times I had to sign my name again so they could be sure, since I was sloppy about it. I was perfectly fine with that, though.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Smuggling Rice and Garlic
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement