UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: shirehobbit Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308858  
Subject: Argh! AT&T Moved my Due Date Date: 2/11/2007 4:36 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 21
It is a good thing that I look at my online statement before the due date. My bill is usually due on 22nd (sometimes on the 21st or 23rd). I pulled up my account today to make a payment and saw that they had changed it to the 15th without notifying me. If I had waited until the late minute to make my payment I would have missed the due date.

The CS rep explained that since I pay my account early every month (by one to two weeks) the software changed the date to make it more convenient for me. Ha! I told him I believe his bank does this in order make money off of customers who don't pay close attention to the due date on their statements. I asked him if he had credit cards. He said yes. I asked if he would be irked if his own bank this to him. He said yes, if it was an inconvenience. I asked him to reset the date, he said he would. I asked him if I was going to have kept calling him to fix this problem if I continue to pay early. He said yes. I told him that I'm a charter member and if he doesn't fix it once and for all I will do a BA to another card. He said he'd fix it permanently.

shirehobbit
Print the post Back To Top
Author: shirehobbit Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 247358 of 308858
Subject: Re: Argh! AT&T Moved my Due Date Date: 2/11/2007 5:13 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0

I really should proofread my posts before hitting the submit button (especially when I'm upset). This one was chock full of typos.

>> I told him that I'm a charter member and if he doesn't fix it once and for all I will do a BA to another card.

For anyone new to the board, that should have read "do a BT (balance transfer) to another card."

shirehobbit

Author: agg97 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 247359 of 308858
Subject: Re: Argh! AT&T Moved my Due Date Date: 2/11/2007 6:22 PM
Recommendations: 5
I really should proofread my posts before hitting the submit button (especially when I'm upset). This one was chock full of typos.

>> I told him that I'm a charter member and if he doesn't fix it once and for all I will do a BA to another card.

For anyone new to the board, that should have read "do a BT (balance transfer) to another card."

shirehobbit

When I read "BA", I had visions of you calling BA Baracus (a.k.a. Mr. T on "The A-Team"), and have him unload a can of whoopa** on him personally. I was thinking, "okay, that's ONE way to go...."

-Agg97

Author: mmrmnhrm Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 247364 of 308858
Subject: Re: Argh! AT&T Moved my Due Date Date: 2/11/2007 9:29 PM
I was thinking, "okay, that's ONE way to go...."

Dat foo shoulda thought first before givin me dat jibba-jabba!

Author: OneupOnedown Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 247367 of 308858
Subject: Re: Argh! AT&T Moved my Due Date Date: 2/11/2007 10:33 PM
Recommendations: 1
Dear shirehobbit,

It is a good thing that I look at my online statement before the due date.... He said he'd fix it permanently.

Good job kicking some Axx! Thanks for posting this, because I think there are people who have been stung this way.

Unfortunately, this tomfoolery is getting worse. I was poking around for privacy and security fine print (and disclaimers) on MBNA's web site, and happened to notice that the new date was 3/7, but when I clicked on the "pay bill" feature it listed 3/8 as the date in the window. I wasn't paying the bill, but thought, there goes some poor sucker, who thinks that's the day they should pay their bill and they are going to get hosed.

Just for curiosity's sake, I logged in today, and voila this date discrepancy has vanished. Hmmmmmmmm...

Congrats on your vigilance!

Author: DeltaOne81 Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 247372 of 308858
Subject: Re: Argh! AT&T Moved my Due Date Date: 2/11/2007 10:52 PM
Recommendations: 2
I asked him to reset the date, he said he would. I asked him if I was going to have kept calling him to fix this problem if I continue to pay early. He said yes. I told him that I'm a charter member and if he doesn't fix it once and for all I will do a BA to another card. He said he'd fix it permanently.

Isn't it nice when *you* have the power over a big nameless entity? And you've gotten this far even though the debt isn't yet entirely paid off. Just imagine the power of the consumer once your balances are down to zero :)

Author: shirehobbit Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 247377 of 308858
Subject: Re: Argh! AT&T Moved my Due Date Date: 2/11/2007 11:07 PM

>> Thanks for posting this, because I think there are people who have been stung this way.

You would have thought I had been doing something stupid, like paying before the previous billing cycle had ended. I played fair, but they didn't. I trust credit lenders as far as I can throw them (and that isn't very far).

>> Congrats on your vigilance!

There may have been a good reason for my vigilance. I vaguely recall this happening to me once before (and it might have been AT&T -- I don't remember). Another good reason to slay the cc debt dragons -- one less monthly stressor.

shirehobbit

Author: Bweaver Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 247378 of 308858
Subject: Re: Argh! AT&T Moved my Due Date Date: 2/11/2007 11:12 PM
I told him I believe his bank does this in order make money off of customers who don't pay close attention to the due date on their statements.

Are you suggesting that in an agreement one has with a creditor who has the right to change terms at will (with notice and consumer opt-out rights) that it's unimportant to pay attention to the due date of the bill?

Bruce

Author: shirehobbit Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 247380 of 308858
Subject: Re: Argh! AT&T Moved my Due Date Date: 2/11/2007 11:42 PM
Recommendations: 5

>> Are you suggesting that in an agreement one has with a creditor who has the right to change terms at will (with notice and consumer opt-out rights) that it's unimportant to pay attention to the due date of the bill?

Certainly not.

I am very aware of notice and consumer opt-out rights. What irked me was that the representive of AT&T made it sound like they were doing me (the consumer) a favor by changing the due date for me.

shirehobbit

Author: MeiraMeira Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 247387 of 308858
Subject: Re: Argh! AT&T Moved my Due Date Date: 2/12/2007 8:36 AM
> Are you suggesting that in an agreement...

That's kind of making a huge leaping negative assumption at someone's intentions, don't you think?

Author: Bweaver Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 247388 of 308858
Subject: Re: Argh! AT&T Moved my Due Date Date: 2/12/2007 8:38 AM
Thanks for clarifying. Your original post said It is a good thing that I look at my online statement before the due date and If I had waited until the late minute to make my payment I would have missed the due date, leaving the impression that the due date on past statements applied or to the current statement.

I just wanted to be confirm you weren't suggesting there was some sort of assumed due date one could safely expect while bills remain unopened.

Bruce

Author: Bweaver Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 247389 of 308858
Subject: Re: Argh! AT&T Moved my Due Date Date: 2/12/2007 8:42 AM
That's kind of making a huge leaping negative assumption at someone's intentions, don't you think?

No, I don't.

When the original poster said "good thing I looked at my statement before the due date" I was left with the impression that there was an assumption about the due date (the statement hadn't yet been seen) and that relying on those assumptions by not looking at statements was an appropriate action.

Bruce

Author: determinedmom Big red star, 1000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 247393 of 308858
Subject: Re: Argh! AT&T Moved my Due Date Date: 2/12/2007 9:13 AM
When the original poster said "good thing I looked at my statement before the due date" I was left with the impression that there was an assumption about the due date (the statement hadn't yet been seen) and that relying on those assumptions by not looking at statements was an appropriate action

Personally I check my online accounts at least every few days, often daily.

That said.... I have a number of accounts that I get online statements only. There is no paper statement to open or not open. I do know that typical due date for those accounts (I have it written down).

I certainly do know many people - maybe most - who would go to pay based upon past history rather than checking as often as I check. That doesn't seem unreasonable to me. Frankly, it does seem unreasonable to me that a credit card company would change a longstanding due date without at least a month's warning about it. Can they? I guess so. Do I think it is reasonable? No.

Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 247396 of 308858
Subject: Re: Argh! AT&T Moved my Due Date Date: 2/12/2007 9:20 AM
I'm really lost in this conversation. Do people really know the exact date that all their credit cards are due? I don't, and even on the bills that I do know that [like the electric bill], I still always read the due date printed right there on the bill so that I'm paying things on time.

I guess I can't imagine not reading that from the bill, especially as it's usually right there next to the balance that I owe, so I don't see the big deal in moving the date. Is it because people have things set up to pay automatically? I don't have any of mine set up like that because the amount to be paid is always different, and I'd forget to log it into my checkbook to keep the balance up-to-date.

I think I may just be old fashioned in how I manage and pay my bills, and that's probably why I'm not seeing a big problem here.

Author: MeiraMeira Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 247398 of 308858
Subject: Re: Argh! AT&T Moved my Due Date Date: 2/12/2007 9:41 AM
Recommendations: 10
2gifts -

I get paid twice a month...on the 15th and on the 30th. I have print outs that I use each month that list the bills that I pay each pay cycle. Next to each item there a little check box that I mark off as I pay them and I write in what I paid.

If I go thru my bills on the 15th and pay them - I don't even look at the bills that come in after that because I normally pay those on the next pay cycle. While I don't have the specific dates they are due in my head - I do know that I pay them in PLENTY of time for them to more than make the due date. I haven't paid a bill late in probably about 12 years...so the system works.

Now if one of those companies went and changed my due date by 2 weeks - I totally would end up paying it late - or on time by the skin of my teeth. I would totally think that was a way for the credit card company to get more money out of me...and it would make me want to raise some hell to.

Author: FiddleDeeDee Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 247402 of 308858
Subject: Re: Argh! AT&T Moved my Due Date Date: 2/12/2007 10:00 AM
He said he'd fix it permanently.

shirehobbit

Good for you!! And yet, you should still continue to check it monthly....

Andrea

Author: yddeyma Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 247405 of 308858
Subject: Re: Argh! AT&T Moved my Due Date Date: 2/12/2007 10:09 AM
Do people really know the exact date that all their credit cards are due?

Yes. For both of my daily use cards that I've had, the billing cycle ends on the 12th of the month. That means I go and pay it on the 13th of every month. To me its actually LESS IMPORTANT to keep track of your electric bill/water bill type payments because those companies don't change the due date on you. Or, at least, they've never changed the due date on me.

I know lots of folks who wait until the due date (or a few days before to pay their bills). Or sometimes they wait a week to open the bills at all. This is risky, in my opinion, because both of my cards have changed due dates on me several times. I don't worry about it because I pay the bill the second the billing cycle ends.

Author: shirehobbit Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 247407 of 308858
Subject: Re: Argh! AT&T Moved my Due Date Date: 2/12/2007 10:50 AM

>> He said he'd fix it permanently.

shirehobbit

Good for you!! And yet, you should still continue to check it monthly....

Andrea

I check the due dates monthly regardless of what promises are made (and that goes for any company I do business with, not just credit lenders).

Author: Fuskie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 247409 of 308858
Subject: Re: Argh! AT&T Moved my Due Date Date: 2/12/2007 11:06 AM
Do people really know the exact date that all their credit cards are due?

Yes. When I switched to a once-a-month pay cycle, I called all my creditors and requested my cycle date be changed so that the payment due date would be mid-month. And I hold off on certain charges until after the cycle date when I anticipate that the balance due would exceed my monthly budgeted amount.

Fuskie
Who still checks all his statements on-line monthly to make sure nothing has changed...

Author: shirehobbit Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 247418 of 308858
Subject: Re: Argh! AT&T Moved my Due Date Date: 2/12/2007 1:39 PM

>> Do people really know the exact date that all their credit cards are due?

Yup. I track everything in Excel. My monthly bills are in due date order.

shirehobbit

Author: Abfacken Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 247431 of 308858
Subject: Re: Argh! AT&T Moved my Due Date Date: 2/12/2007 5:10 PM
> an agreement one has with a creditor who has the right to change terms at will

How is that an agreement?

Author: determinedmom Big red star, 1000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 247436 of 308858
Subject: Re: Argh! AT&T Moved my Due Date Date: 2/12/2007 6:47 PM
I guess I can't imagine not reading that from the bill, especially as it's usually right there next to the balance that I owe, so I don't see the big deal in moving the date. Is it because people have things set up to pay automatically? I don't have any of mine set up like that because the amount to be paid is always different, and I'd forget to log it into my checkbook to keep the balance up-to-date.

I get some bills online. I know from past experience when they close and when the due date is (within a few days). I have a spreadsheet where I keep that information. For example, I have columns that says who (i.e. Chase), balance, minimum payment, interest rate and day of month that it is due. When I pay (usually long before the due date), I color code that column so I can easily see what has been paid.

Now, I am compulsive and check my online balances on a virtually daily basis. But I could certainly imagine someone whose card had a due date of the 5th forever and ever might not check until, say, the 1st and would be quite shocked to find out that the payment due date had been changed to the 30th.

The point is that on most of these you don't actually see the bill until you go to the web page to look at it -- usually just when you plan to pay.

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 247438 of 308858
Subject: Re: Argh! AT&T Moved my Due Date Date: 2/12/2007 6:58 PM
Do people really know the exact date that all their credit cards are due? I don't, and even on the bills that I do know that [like the electric bill], I still always read the due date printed right there on the bill so that I'm paying things on time.

I don't know the exact dates of my bills, but I do know that, for example, the Citicard generally closes around the 19th, and I should get the bill by the 26th at the latest, and payment is generally due 10 days later. Normally it is paid before that, unless I'm away on vacation or something.

Quicken also keeps track of things, so if I'm entering information I can see a little notice that a payment is coming due on this, that or the other date. And it saved me a huge amount of trouble once, because the landlord did a sloppy job of sorting the mail, and I knew that a bill was missing, called the company, and asked for a new one. The landlady found the bill amid her junk mail the day after it was due. If Quicken hadn't kept track, I might have missed that one altogether.

But I can see someone who is paying down multiple cards, and keeping track of the information that a particular bill is paid from the second paycheck of the month, reacting with a certain amount of shock at discovering that the company had suddenly shoved the due date up so that the bill had to be paid from the first paycheck.

Nancy

Author: salsbst Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 251021 of 308858
Subject: Re: Argh! AT&T Moved my Due Date Date: 4/3/2007 12:37 PM
Among its many amazing features, paytrust.com examines the due dates on your bills and lets you schedule payment a fixed number of days in advance of the due date.

I recommend paytrust.com to everyone who has bills to pay. I used to be pretty bad about remembering to pay bills. I still would be if I had to remember. Paytrust made that problem in my life vanish.

Paytrust: "Receive, review, pay & organize all your bills online."

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement