UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 63299  
Subject: Argo! Date: 10/12/2012 5:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
I would think it difficult to make a suspense film where the audience already knows the ending. Oh sure, in "Three Days of the Condor" and "Bourne" and such you know he's going to make it out alive, but those have the conceit of being fiction. "Titanic" had stunning special effects. Argo is neither, it's merely a true story, that of six Americans who escaped the Embassy in Tehran just as it was being overrun by students in 1979 who took another five dozen diplomatic service employees hostage.

Holed up in the Canadian Ambassador's residence, they edge closer and closer to being discovered, until finally the CIA steps in with a cockamamie plan to bring them out by posing as a Canadian film crew in search of a location for a science fiction B movie. (Why anyone in Iran in those times would fall for this is beyond me, given that you can find exotic locales in Egypt or a dozen other middle-Eastern countries that all look vaguely similar except without the rioting mobs, but I digress.)

There are no spoilers here, most of those were in the headlines in 1979, and what few remained have been thoroughly spoilt in the pre-release publicity for the film, directed by Ben Affleck, and featuring Alan Arkin and John Goodman among a cast of otherwise unknowns.

The best part, for me, was the absence of silly, over-the-top violence, CGI enhanced for maximum appeal to 14 year olds, even as the tension builds toward the film climax. And a great release it is, even though you know it's coming, you should pardon the expression.

And don't rush out before the credit roll; some of the more far fetched plot points are put on screen: stills from the film juxtaposed against news photographs from the era, and they're eerily similar. That's not so hard to do, given that Affleck already had the pictures in hand and could construct the movie to align, but it's still a testament to the "based on a true story" meme, which is so frequently used to concoct all manner of fictional excess around a real life story.

I've been lamenting that the last half dozen films we've gone to were mediocre, sometimes worse. The season is back, and it's good, very good indeed.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Hollywood Stock Exchange Game
Trade those actors and movies on the HSX board.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement