Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: lcd186 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5649  
Subject: arsenic in brown & other rice Date: 9/28/2012 10:42 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Nine days ago, September 19, mainstream reports subsequent to an FDA report and Consumers Reports article came out about the "worrisome levels" of inorganic arsenic in rice products, including baby food, white rice but particularly in brown rice.

Many articles came out of course, but a few random assortment recently:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/09/19/us-usa-rice-arseni...

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/09/so-theres-...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rachel-lincoln-sarnoff/arsenic...

Before posting this thread, I searched here on TMF for recent, relevant articles on arsenic.

This particular post worth noting since it has longer excerpts and links to articles.
"It is concerning and unnecessary, but keep in mind arsenic is found in many places, "
http://boards.fool.com/it-is-concerning-and-unnecessary-but-...

Coincidentally, a post from December 2011 from one of our regular posters here, namely alstroemeria.
http://boards.fool.com/arsenic-in-apple-juice-29700801.aspx

Personally, this recent news I find a bit disheartening since I started to each much more brown rice in recent months (infrequently for all three main meals, but usually at least 1-2 miles a day). I did this partly because brown rice is relatively economical and I consider it much healthier than potatoes, pasta, and breads plus it goes much better IMHO with beans and legumes than most other starchy sides. Thus hearing that it is a very high source of inorganic arsenic is a bit disheartening.

With all the articles I've skimmed (or read at length, but have low memory retention), I believe the recommendation is often to not eat more than 2-3 servings of brown rice per week. Since I eat at least 5-7 that amount weekly, it does not comfort me.

A few articles mentioned that one way of reducing by as much as 30% the amount of arsenic is to make sure to rinse rice before cooking. In light of starting to pre-soak brown rice, in the last few weeks I make sure to not only drain the soaked rice, but rinse it a few times in clear water.

Since reading the articles nine days ago, I've cut down on eating brown rice significantly and reverted back to eating more white rice (which I rinse several times before cooking). But I have grown fond of eating brown rice regularly and I'm wondering if I'm reacting unnecessarily to the news itself.

I would love to hear any of your thoughts on the topic.

Thank you.

Lois Carmen D.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: 1DEG Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5444 of 5649
Subject: Re: arsenic in brown & other rice Date: 9/28/2012 10:29 PM
I don't eat more than a couple of servings of rice a week anyway, so i honestly haven't changed anything. But I have heard that rice grown in Asia or California is less likely to have arsenic since the pest the arsenic is used to control is exclusive to the Southern part of the US and mostly attacks cotton fields. Don't know if that's an option for you. I live in California, so rice grown here is easy for me to come by.

DEG

Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5445 of 5649
Subject: Re: arsenic in brown & other rice Date: 9/29/2012 9:38 AM
The tests also showed that brown rice had higher levels of arsenic. That is because arsenic is concentrated in its healthy outer layers, which are removed to make white rice.

Never thought I'd say this--but maybe switch to white rice. Also, I wonder if the instant brown rice is soaked first.....

Author: lcd186 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5446 of 5649
Subject: Re: arsenic in brown & other rice Date: 10/1/2012 1:58 PM
I don't eat more than a couple of servings of rice a week anyway, so i honestly haven't changed anything. But I have heard that rice grown in Asia or California is less likely to have arsenic since the pest the arsenic is used to control is exclusive to the Southern part of the US and mostly attacks cotton fields. Don't know if that's an option for you. I live in California, so rice grown here is easy for me to come by.

Hello DEG, good point. I looked at the 10 lb. bag of brown rice I have now and it is simply marked that it was produced in the U.S.A., no specific region. I looked at my local supermarket and right now, all the brands I looked at seemed marked the same, as in just "U.S.A." and no specific region.

For the lack of any reference, I think I am going to have to assume all such marked brands are from the Southern US, unless I see it being marked from a specific region otherwise.

Never thought I'd say this--but maybe switch to white rice. Also, I wonder if the instant brown rice is soaked first.....

LOL! After I spent almost a year getting used to, and finally enjoying, brown rice! Frankly, white rice is much cheaper. And as long as I am eating lots of fresh vegetables with it possibly the nutritional benefits I hope to gain from brown rice are negligible.

Thanks all,
Lois Carmen D.

Author: joikim Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5447 of 5649
Subject: Re: arsenic in brown & other rice Date: 10/1/2012 4:34 PM
I, too, have been eating more brown rice. I have stopped all rice for now. I'm so tired of all the things we must monitor because they are contaminated or engineered or full of poisons. Trying hard to buy organic and local and non-GMO. In this case, local Texas rice is some of the worst in arsenic levels. AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!

Author: tori26 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5501 of 5649
Subject: Re: arsenic in brown & other rice Date: 2/27/2013 4:24 PM
Lois,
Have you tried quinoa or couscous?

If I need a grain, quite often I use one of these two grains.

Linda

Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5527 of 5649
Subject: Re: arsenic in brown & other rice Date: 9/7/2013 6:27 PM
Recommendations: 1
On September 6, 2013, FDA released the analytical results of approximately 1,100 new samples of rice and rice products as part of a major effort to understand and manage possible arsenic-related risks associated with the consumption of these foods in the U.S. marketplace. These 1,100 new samples are in addition to the approximately 200 samples of rice and rice products that the FDA initially tested and released the findings in September 2012....

The levels FDA found in its testing are too low to cause immediate or short-term adverse health effects. FDA’s work going forward will center on long-term risk and ways to manage it with a focus on long-term exposure....

http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodborneIllnessContaminants/Metals/...

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement