Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: MauiH Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 122230  
Subject: Arthritis (Dog) Date: 3/3/1999 11:27 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Anyone have any experience with arthritis in dogs? My oldest dog, Casey, is 15, and in pretty good health, other than cataracts, some loss of hearing, and arthritis. We've had her on several different medications for it, the first one I can't remember the name of, it started with "A", made her sick to her stomach after a few months; the second, Rimadyl, helped a lot, but it also made her sick after three months. Now she takes Cosequin, for about a year, so far no nausea, and she's not as groggy as with the Rimadyl, but it doesn't seem to be helping as much. She's very stiff legged, mostly it's her back legs, sometimes stumbles, and sometimes has a hard time getting up. She also never sits anymore, either is on all fours or lying down. She never whimpers, yelps or cries, and vet says she's not in any pain as far as he can tell.

Has anyone heard anything about shark cartilage or any other medicines, therapies or supplements? She also takes a calcium supplement. We live in the Bahamas and while we're very happy with our vet, am not sure he's "up on" all the latest. Taking her to the U.S. for treatment would be a very last resort, as she's never flown, and boat ride would be really hard on her; she didn't like it that much when she was younger.

She's like my best friend, been with me longer than my husband, and it's very hard to see her deteriorating. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement