Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: EazyTarget One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 6773  
Subject: Article on Managing Family Finances Date: 8/14/2000 2:12 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Found this board putzin around and thought it might be appropriate seeing as I just got hitched.

beware this article...
http://abcnews.go.com/sections/business/PersonalFinance/makeover.html

Woeful Sandra suffers from a typical marital problem, she's more responsible (and worried) about money than her husband Michael.

“My husband is reluctant to
work together financially. He has exhibited financial
irresponsibility.” Exasperated, she concludes, “How do I
save to accomplish financial goals alone?”

Michael may never change, and
Sandra may always be angry at him
for it. So what? Sure it will come to
the surface with more or less
ferocity depending on the other
issues at the moment. But, if she
admits the anger, shows it when
she needs to, and forgives him until
the next flare up, the marriage will
probably last forever.

Is there anyone else out there that has a problem with this line of thinking? I've always been raised on values that teach things like "share in everything, including responsibility."

There's some good financial advice in this article, but what Ms. Berg is describing isn't marriage. It's what you do when you're living by yourself and depending on yourself to get by. The way she describes it sounds kinda like "Your hubby brings home the bucks, and all he's good for is depositing the checks and writing them for the bills. The wifey should then take over the rest of the finances."

Sorry, I just think this is a recipe for disaster. She even says to go so far as to not care about it until it comes up in a fight, get through the fight, and just put it out of your mind till the next one??? Some counselor this woman is! I've never heard someone dish out marriage advice saying "go ahead and fight it out every so often and then just forget about it for a while. Nothing really needs to be worked out if this happens."

Am I the only one that sees this? Maybe some of you more experienced married folks out there can help me out. But I would think that if my wife and I are constantly fighting about something, we should try to work out a compomise, as opposed to just resolving to fighting about it the rest of our lives.

Especially about money issues! You can't just have one earning while the other is saving. It doesn't work like that. If you've got a spendthrift husband, and the wife wants to save, she's not gonna be able to save without teaching him a lesson or two about money management. This is not a new concept here. Money comes in, money goes out, what's left to save? She can duke it out with him all she wants; she's not going to save a penny unless he learns how to stop spending them.

I dunno. I just read through it and happened to think that, while the actual financial advice was on the right track, the advice itself being for married couples was about the worst thing I've ever heard.

EzT
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement