UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: canteywright Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 395  
Subject: Re: Intimidation. Date: 2/18/2002 12:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
As a foodservice professional, I can tell you that a well-managed restaurant with trained staff will always want to ensure guest satisfaction.

I mention training, because at one of the restaurants where I worked, we frequently served a special called "Rare Sesame Tuna." The staff was instructed to call it by that name when they were doing their verbal presentation of the specials and to describe it as "seared on the outside and cool and rare on the inside." Any guest that said they wanted the dish, but wanted it medium rare or higher, was allowed to do so without any negative comments from the server.

On those occasions when the tuna was sent back to be cooked up, it was almost always as a result of the server not properly naming or describing the dish. (ie: a training issue)

You are quite right to realize that since you are paying, you should get what you want. This is not to say that a guest has the "right" to "demand" just "anything." In a restaurant that does not have a grill, it is unreasonable to expect the chef to "just grill it for me instead of sauteing it" or to demand fried shrimp in a restaurant that does not have it on the menu just because "you have shrimp and you have a fryer, so I want fried shrimp."

It has been my experience that the combination of guest-satisfaction-attuned management and reasonable and polite guest requests almost always results in a positive outcome.

Just my 2 cents.

Cantey
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement