UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (49) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: llambe Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308557  
Subject: Re: Sent Murphy an invitation Date: 8/21/2008 12:01 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
As a non parent, it's always a mystery to me why parents seem to go a long way out of their way to saddle their children with all the expenses that go along with an automobile. It seems like a no brainer to me to treat such a luxury as a pricilege and responsibility of being an adult. If a kid can't afford it --- do without.

I can see ---barely, permitting a child to drive the family car, and the family bearing the substantial cost of that provilege. Perhaps that's especially justified where the kid is doing well in school and is responsible and doing useful things with their time ---as a reward and a privilege of good behavior.

For us with DS(Step)S, it was a relief to me when he bought his own car and took on all those expenses - because before that we were covering everything, he was working just as much and all the money he made was purely blow money for him (he did put 10% away). After the car, he began to see that there are expenses that you have to cover as an adult. He still had a LOT of blow money though. For DD (who's only 5) I've already been considering different ways to limit the amount of money that is allowable to just blow.

Lael
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (49) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement