Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
As an Apple shareholder & bystander I can understand why Apple wants to pursue the case - it's worth a lot of money - but in principle find it hard to support Apple's position. Qualcomm developed & owns very real patents (as opposed to 'pinch to zoom' or 'slide to unlock' type patents that ignore prior art) that underpin modern 'rapid' wireless data transmission - without that R&D & patents the iPhone would be hobbled. And - as has been pointed out many times - Apple's position is rich with hypocrisy given it's arguments in other legal cases.

I am not denying Qualcomm's patents or it's right to get as much as they can for the technology. I simply have a problem of singling out one company not because of how they use your product, but because of how much they charge FOR the end product.

Personally, I can back MS's position better than QC's. If they are charging by the number of units sold, even if their chips were not in that specific phone, that still more based on the units. The price of a phone can fluctuate just due to inflation and deflation of the currency or the differences in the currency prices across the board. The number of units sold will depend more on the manufacturer's capability to sell. Also, it would not seem like they are trying to single out a company because they make a higher-end product - which is exactly what it seems like with Apple.

Kathleen
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement