Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 11
As budgets get tighter, families work harder and work longer hours to pay the bills. More time spent at work means less time to cook. The increase in two-income families (to pay these outrageous mortgages, to keep up with the Jones', or whatever) have led to more eating out or take out. We have seen this trend play out before our eyes.

Then there are those who have flexible budgets. This group appears to be leading the trend toward organic/healthy living. They can choose to either cook, take out or eat out.

I've recently visited a new Whole Foods & it's massive. Like a farmers' market, grocery store, bakery, coffeeshop, food court, churrascaria, pizza shop, sushi bar, wine bar, plus more--all rolled into one, under a solar-powered (?!) roof. Whole Foods has grown in more ways than one. They're progressive, as always.

As I see it, they're well positionaed to cater to both groups. You can purchase conventional OR organic ingredients if you prefer to cook at home. You can choose the pricier gourmet items or the Whole Foods inexpensive generic brand. You can request food cooked to order for either dine-in or take-out. Or you can grab an affordable ready-made sandwich wrap to-go, which is what I did for just under 5 bucks. Don't plenty of people spend that much on fast food?

I know people who went organic after being diagnosed with cancer or some other disease. They now believe that "cheap food" can be expensive when you consider real health/medical costs. In the future, I believe more and more people will start to realize that a WF-like lifestyle actually costs you less in the long run. Less expensive when you consider our bodies' health and also the health of our planet (these are the costs that people fail to recognize or disregard altogether because we end up paying these expenses indirectly and oftentimes collectively through taxes, etc.).

At today's prices, I think it's still best to think of WFMI as a long-term investment. That's what management appears to be doing. Incurring of expenses now for an investment in a very positive future.

gnomie
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement