Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 10
As for income, I can't speak for AM, but we manage ours so we staty in the 15% bracket, right along with most people who still work for a living. I prefer it that way. It's amazing how little you need to live reasonably well when you don't insist on impressing other people with your ability to spend money.

You miss the point. If it's OK to take more money from people who make more in order to help people who make less, the cutoff point that determines who has more is necessarily arbitrary. AM's point of view is that it's fine for the gov't to take stuff from those who have more than she does to give it to those that have less. But taken to its logical conclusion, the gov't should be taking everything from you and me and AM until there are no people left who have less than we do.

Yes, one can live reasonably well by staying in the 15% bracket. But, again taking AM's philosophy to its logical conclusion, it's unfair that you should be paying only 15% tax when there are people out there who have less than you do. You should be paying 65%, maybe 80% tax, so your stuff can be redistributed to those less fortunate until they're on an equal basis with you.

What you are saying is "Hands off my stuff because I live modestly but your stuff is fair game because you're a greedy pig." Your bias clearly shines through with the telling phrase "impressing other people with your ability to spend money." You haven't the faintest idea how much money I spend or what my motives are. The way you phrased that leads me to believe that you are jealous because you think I may have more than you and you need to impute petty motives to me to make yourself feel better.

--fleg
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement