No. of Recommendations: 2
As for midcaps, you all seem to be implying that a mid-cap fund is generally a bad idea (or can be easily replaced by a large-small combo)

Yes we are!

Not so much a bad idea or good idea - but lets use the morningstar X-ray tool and put in the Mid Cap fund JMCVX and find out just how much Mid Cap there really is in there.

Value Core Growth
11 22 12 LARGE = 45%
17 17 10 MID = 44%
5 5 3 SMALL = 13%

Seems to already be a good chunk of Large Cap -eh? So If you do a Large Cap and a Mid Cap??? You would be way over the top on the large - and very little small (almost the same as the Total Market).

Proforma - what if you put you hard earned dough in a Small Cap JSCVX and Large Cap JPLTX. (50/50) You would have:

Value Core Growth
15 22 9 LARGE = 46%
8 8 7 MID = 23%
10 11 10 SMALL = 31%

That would give you a good chunk of the Mid. IF you wanted to split the difference on the Small and Mid, do 58% Small & 42% Large and have
LARGE = 38%
MID = 24%
SMALL = 25%

Or if as mentioned you went with VTI (Total Market) you would have approximately -
LARGE = 70%
MID = 20%
SMALL = 10%
then just add small til you get whereever you want to go!

So Mid is easily replicated with other positions:

Risk return - Well the return piece (based on historical data - blah blah) fits more towards the Small Caps over long periods of time. But there is a lot of talk about Large being the place to be right now (see below) - so pull out the crystal ball.

We can definitely also compare some recent history to see how the three have tracked. Looking at 2004 to present, I would eyeball only about a 5% difference in Mid and Small Cap. And since the "not so great depression" Large caps have about 40% to go to catch up to Small and Mid. hence the "place to be" in some pundits eyes.....

JKD - Large Cap
JKG - Mid Cap
JKJ - Small Cap

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=JKG+Interactive#chart2:sy...

So lets say 35% (lets use JLC's numbers) to that part of the portfolio:

And 35% Foreign: That you might consider both developed markets (UK, Germany, Egypt :) and emerging markets (BRIC's - love that goldman term so financial sounding) you sound like you would probably lean toward emerging - --

20% REITS - well that is about where I am at so I like, maybe alittle less 18% or so but now we come to the final section BONDS!! A funny thing about investing in bonds - you know almost surely what you are going to get UPFRONT! Take advantage of that. To me (not a recipe for everyone) bonds are not very attractive until the mid term investment grade gets back up over 6%. And it may never happen again :) Because, upfront you are locking in a rate of return that I am willing to RISK someplace else and right now that other place is high yield and commodities. (high yield on hold because of my expectations on interest rates)

So - 20% commodities: Generically across several items with a focus specifically industrial metals - good diversification from the equities so you should get a reduction in portfolio volatility - if you can short coffee and go long lean hogs in your 401(k) let me know... otherwise maybe an ETF on industrial metals - if you are a beleiver you could go the precious metals route. I do think Pd has better upside as the Au/Ag you feel kinda bubbly to me!!!
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement