Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: JonathanRoth Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 166716  
Subject: Re: The day has arrived. Date: 10/27/2012 2:17 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
As I watch individuals, couples or groups of people in restaurants, stadiums, on the beach or walking the streets, all totally absorbed in their smart phones and iPads,I'm reminded of Albert Einstein's statement:

"I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of IDIOTS."

Yup, we are there.

I feel the same, however, at the same time, especially with phone calls, email, tweets, IM, people are interacting with people, just the people aren't here.

A decade or so ago, my son broke up with his GF. She moved to NY he stayed in CA. I watched them torture each other for several months, "I miss you", "I'm dating someone else", sometimes in the same call. In my youth, calls to NY were $0.25/min and minimum wage was $1.75. So if someone moved across country all contact was lost.

It's different, sometimes better, sometimes worse, but people are communicating, all day long and with people all over the world. Next week I have 6 am presentations M, T, & W with co-workers in EU. 6 am beats having to fly over. Back to a weekend of Visio and PowerPoint.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement