UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (75) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Shirtless1 Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308475  
Subject: Re: Capital One Never Stops Date: 4/28/2006 3:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
As one of the posters who was probably perceived as telling onesizefitsnone to stop complaining and deal with it, I see your two situations as very different. onesizefitsnone admitted that the debt was hers, but didn't want to accept the fact that the valid debt that she ignored could possibly have grown to 4 times her credit limit. I and others tried to explain, several times, that not only could it grow that high, but that by ignoring the debt for 2 - 6 years, it could be even higher and that she was probably getting a good deal in settling for what the collection agency was asking.

AJ,

Yes I realize that distinction made it harder for her to justify getting help to get out of her predicament. And I was perhaps too quick to feel I was in the same boat even though the debt wasn't mine.

It feels like the decision that the debt was or wasn't mine was going to be determined by someone else's judgement. Judgement I don't necessarily trust. So I see a similarity that such a thing could happen to me if this collection agency had just arbitrarily started charging me fees and exhorbitant interest. It sounds like the experienced members of this board have learned trust in these judgers (I didn't want to say deciders). And perhaps I will learn to trust them and the system more if I have success with it too.

But I don't want to get too complacent about onesize's situation either and just say "well that can't happen to me." I still think that Onesize was being bullied excessively for her poor judgement to let the debt slide. Yes she's owes something. She does not owe over $1000 if her cited details are accurate. I had never heard before that we no longer have any usury laws in this county. This is very disturbing to me. I want to be protected from usury even if I'm not the sort to ever renege on a debt.

So I see this difference between Onesize and me as small in that I am merely a false accusation away from being subject to the same victimization of (IMHO) usury. Not only do I not want to be a victim of legal usury, but I don't want deliberate renegers to be a victim of it either.

First they came for the debt renegers, and didn't speak up because I always paid my debts....

Shirtless1
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (75) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

2.1: The Labor Pool Problem
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement