UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: NHDad920 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75384  
Subject: Re: Any Advice? Date: 1/12/2005 10:21 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
As preben mentioned in his post the "feel good" factor is a major part in this decision. In terms of getting the most bang for your buck, paying off the highest rate debt first is the way to go and keeping low rate debt when you can get a higher rate of return investing makes sense too.

However, my wife is at home with our 10 mo. old , and pregnant again, so I am the sole wage earner. About two years before my wife left her last job to stay at home she was laid off from her previous job and got a severance package that was about 6 months of salary. Since we were already planning ahead for her staying at home we opted to pay off a 4.9% car loan and a 6.0% student loan with the money instead of investing because we were wanted to increase our monthly cash flow and my wife felt much more comfortable getting rid of some of our debt before giving up one income.

Now we're living comfortably in a house we'll probably be in till the kids head to college, we're doing it on one income because we have fewer monthly obligations, and as my salary continues to increase we're putting all of those gains into our retirement investments.

Good luck with your decision - at the end of the day do whatever helps you and your wife sleep well at night.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Starting a Small Business
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement