Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 3
As should be apparent from the various responses you've received, your original post wasn't clear. When you eliminated the deduction, did your expected refund drop from $800 to $200, or did you determine that instead of a refund of $800 you actually owed $600.

If the former, go ahead and deposit the $800 check. If the latter, call the IRS and ask them how to return a refund check you received in error.

Alternatively, you could cash the check and wait for the IRS to ask you for the money back. If you do this, you will be charged interest on the $800 for the time you had it. If you send the check back uncashed, there is no interest charge.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.