No. of Recommendations: 0
As the certificate was issued in your name, the bank acting as transfer agent should have your address on file (unless you move). Therefore, if the bonds were called, they should have been able to notify you by mail. You could probably contact the bank listed on the certificate or the Turnpike Authority for more information. The New Jersey Turnpike Authority should be listed in the blue pages in Trenton, NJ.

To sell the bonds before their maturity date, you will need to contact the bond desk of a brokerage house or a bond dealer. Most discount brokers have a bond desk. They should be able to give you a quote. If your holdings of the bonds are small, less than about $25K, the offers you get are likely to be costly. So you will probably be best off to hold them to maturity if you can. If you need money sooner, it could be easier to borrow against them than to sell them.

If you live in New Jersey, you may also want to contact the trust department of your bank or the larger banks in your area. They may be willing to buy your bonds or find a buyer for them.

Best of luck to you.
Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.