No. of Recommendations: 3
As the poster pointed out, because the work force is increasing as young people enter the workforce, immigration adds workers, and baby boomers are yet to retire enmass, you can have increasing employment but also increasing unemployment. Something that I don't recall seeing in that very long post was that, when a person's unemployment runs out and you aren't registering to find a job, you are no longer counted as unemployed. Thus a second thing is happening: people who had stopped looking for work are now more optimistic and are re-entering the workforce, or trying to. So the combination of new employees and revitalized unemployed can overcome a very strong job growth.

I also might point out that with the Fed Funds rate not only below 3% but at 1% for, what, two years now, and the massive deficit spending of the Bush administration, it should be no surprise that there is growing employment. The things that baffles me is why we haven't seen it before now and why isn't it bigger? The only thing the government might have done more was to have a Federal jobs program. In a way we have that too because the Federal government is expanding again after Gore's Reinventing America program that hastened me and tens of thousands of other Civil Servants into retirement. But to have an outright relief program doesn't sit well with Republicans. Incidentally, at one time Reagan's dad worked for the CCC during the great depression.

brucedoe
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement