Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
As to filing for your mother-in-law yourself, it's the responsibility of the spouse or executor. You can't "assume" the responsibility if it isn't yours. OF course, if she didn't have to file in 2000, there's a good chance she won't have to file a 2001 return either.

Looking at 1040 - Single >65 $8,550 need to file. Her 1099-R's are about 2x's that.

They have "appointed" me as the person in charge of this. When I said "myself" I should have said "Is there any pitfalls of doing the taxes ourselves". They should be straight forward, I would think. She will have a 1040 with 1099-R's. Schedule B for interest from the bank. And that should be about it.


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.