Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMBFAverageJoe Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 14082  
Subject: Ask the expert. Date: 1/15/2013 7:34 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
I asked a friend, who is an English major, whether who or whom should be used in a certain sentence.

He said, "I ain't sure."

~aj
Print the post Back To Top
Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12847 of 14082
Subject: Re: Ask the expert. Date: 1/17/2013 12:07 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I asked a friend, who is an English major, whether who or whom should be used in a certain sentence.

He said, "I ain't sure."

Oh, that's an easy one actually.

The grammatical-term answer: "who" is the subject of the sentence, "whom" is an object (direct or indirect).

The comprehensible answer: use "who" where "he" fits, and "whom" where "him" fits.

So far it's the same as "they" versus "them".

The common answer: use "who".

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement